Holy giant mushrooms!

Posted on August 29th, 2007 – 9:42 AM
By Jaime Chismar


No, these are not dinner plates. These are “volunteers” I discovered this morning in my garden.


7 Responses to "Holy giant mushrooms!"

sparklegirl says:

August 29th, 2007 at 10:50 am

Glad you posted about these, Jaime — they’re popping up like crazy in my lawn thanks to all this rain! I’ve just been knocking them down. Any reason I should be worried about them (e.g., are the a sign of bad soil Ph or anything like that)?

anneesha says:

August 29th, 2007 at 11:01 am

Has anyone else seen mutant spores/fungi that hasn’t been imagined outside of original Star Trek special effects? A friend’s newly landscaped mulchpath has something growing that looks like that expandable insulating foam … and worse!

Jaime Chismar says:

August 29th, 2007 at 12:19 pm

Mushrooms are an important part of the decomposition process. I’d take it as a sign that your soil is fertile and healthy…

sparklegirl says:

August 29th, 2007 at 3:15 pm

Cool! Thanks!

Robyn Dochterman says:

August 29th, 2007 at 8:25 pm

Jaime, I’ve noticed everything you grow is B.I.G. What’s in the air over there at your house?

Chris says:

August 30th, 2007 at 9:04 am

Don’t just knock the mushrooms over, because spores will fell into the ground and produce alot more. Pick them and dispose of them properly. I have some that are very large and flat; that are heart shaped. They come up every year.

Carlene Skeffington says:

September 5th, 2007 at 8:27 am

No need to worry about the giant mushrooms- not a dangerous variety They are nature’s decomposer and will soon be gone. The “mutant insulating foam fungi” is probably “dog vomit slime mold” (Latin name Fuligo septica). Common on mulch esp after rains. Not techically fungi but in a kingdom of their own. Also a harmless decomposer. See TomVolkFungi.net on the web under the latin name for full story.