Peaches, pears, questions

Posted on August 14th, 2008 – 8:32 AM
By Robyn Dochterman

Last year at this time, I was eating juicy peaches off the tree I planted in the backyard. This year? Not a single peach. I’d feel a bit bad about that, except my pear tree is bearing fruit for the first time. That has me almost as excited as I was last year.

The pear I picked today is teeny, but beautifully shaped and blushed with red. I haven’t eaten it yet because I think I remember that pears are supposed to finish ripening off the tree. However, I don’t know how long said ripening will take. Anybody else grow pears or know what’s the real deal? I’d appreciate your advice.

I’d also be very curious what kinds of pears you’re growing, and how you’ve fared. I know there are some choices for zone 4, and mine have done decently well. But I’m always looking (especially at sales this time of year) to add another possibility.

Also, if you grow peaches, have you experienced  this biennial fruiting tendency? Or is there some other reason for the lack of fruit (I’m fairly certain, it’s not a lack of pollination — the peach trees are within 30 feet of the bee yard).

Any other fruit tree fans want to weigh in with a progress report? Mulberries? Paw paws? Persimmons?  Okay….apples?

7 Responses to "Peaches, pears, questions"

Amy F says:

August 14th, 2008 at 10:57 am

There’s a mulberry tree in our neighborhood that we were eating off of for the past two weeks — it seemed to be doing well.

Robyn Dochterman says:

August 14th, 2008 at 11:31 am

Amy, do you just eat the mulberries out of hand, or have you thought of making anything out of the mulberries (jam, syrup, ice cream, etc.)? I just bought an ice cream freezer — an old style wooden one –and am excited to see how I can combine fruit into my ice cream.

Lorika says:

August 14th, 2008 at 12:33 pm

I have a friend who made Mulberry ice cream and she said it was terrible. I think they don’t have quite enough flavor for it.

Sweet/sour fruits seem to be the best.

brambles says:

August 16th, 2008 at 10:59 am

Some help this will be. . . . I believe the pear-ripening thing may depend on the varietal. If you know what kind of pear you have, look it up and see what the word is. Are you familiar with Usenet newsgroups? Try rec.gardens.edible (I think that’s the name) for help with it.

What kind of peach tree do you have? Yum! I have a lug of Colorados calling my name — got to get my Boozey Floozy Peach Jam made before the Fair starts. :-)

brambles says:

August 16th, 2008 at 11:02 am

Robyn, if you’re going to put fruit pieces into your ice cream, be sure to macerate the fruit in some sugar overnight to prevent fruit-flavor rocks in your ice cream. :-) CI involves vodka in their ice cream recipe, too, for texture of the finished product. Supposed to make it creamier.

Robyn Dochterman says:

August 16th, 2008 at 11:47 am

Brambles — thanks for the usenet suggestion. I will head that direction. I’m trying a few different peach trees, including Reliance. Boozy Floozy Peach Jam? Wow! That sounds irresistible!

Amy F says:

August 16th, 2008 at 7:33 pm

I wouldn’t have even recognized the mulberries if my husband hadn’t pointed them out. They’re in a fuzzy zone between a church parking lot and an apartment building, so I don’t even know who we’d ask for permission to pick more than a handful.

I’ve got a lot of raspberries I’d consider mixing into ice cream, though, so brambles’ advice looks good.