Greengirls are on the move

Posted on August 7th, 2009 – 11:05 AM
By Connie Nelson

The Greengirls blog has migrated to a new server. If you have Greengirls on your RSS feed, you’ll have update it with the current url.  And if you want to contribute to the growing conversation, you’ll have to register with StarTribune.com. Please take a minute to register. It’s quick, painless and helps us cut down on spam.

So, come on with us. The season is far from over and we want to hear how your tomatoes are coming along, if you’re taking your beans to the fair, how you Endless Summer is blooming and how you’re dealing with aphids, powdery mildew and the neighbor who always snitches a handful of your raspberries.  We’re at startribune.com/greengirls.

14 Responses to "Greengirls are on the move"

Anneesha says:

August 7th, 2009 at 11:22 am

Thankful for the rain today! The Powderhorn area of S. Minneapolis has missed out on most everything in June/July. I We’ve had more rain in August already than those 2 months combined.

Does anyone have any tips for using an electric lawnmower? I just bought one – still in the box.

Danika says:

August 7th, 2009 at 11:43 am

I too am grateful for the rain :)

Anneesha, you will love your electric mower! Just be sure to always charge it fully… bad for the battery if you use it before it’s fully charged.

Geoff says:

August 7th, 2009 at 12:25 pm

I suggest you let that poor neighbor stealing handfuls of your raspberries alone! Maybe he’s hungry and needs a snack. Maybe he’s tired from biking home and just needs a little fresh food to help replenish the glucose. He could be collecting them to give to the local food shelf too! Besides, he’s a good guy and is just saving them from the birds anyway.

In fact, you should probably collect a pint of fresh raspberries every day or two and just give it to him. A little goodwill goes a long way!

steeners says:

August 7th, 2009 at 2:22 pm

I’m going to repost my post from yesterday and hope for some help – because now they’ve got my basil, too! I have teeny-tiny white little fly-like critters destroying my gardens one leaf at a time. First it was the dianthus, then the rudbekia, then on to the beans and now the cucumbers. I tried an insecticidal soap but it didn’t seem to make a difference. Does anyone have advice for me? Thanks!

steeners says:

August 7th, 2009 at 2:25 pm

My Endless Summer is beautiful, and I finally have emerging blooms on my Limelight, after getting it two years ago!

Geoff says:

August 7th, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Steeners:

Can you identify it from that lineup?

steeners says:

August 7th, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Geoff,
Thank you! Yes, they must be the “whiteflies” on the website – it’s the only thing tiny enough to be it. I’ve had them every year for the three years that we’ve been in our current house in the same spot in my garden, just this year they’ve really exploded, it seems. Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of them.

gardenmum says:

August 7th, 2009 at 8:07 pm

I have all 3 different varieties of Endless Summer. The very first one I got a few years ago has never bloomed. It just has nice green leaves. I successfully wintered over a Blushing Bride with mulch and bags of leaves for protection. It came up this spring with blossoms near the ground and has been in bloom ever since. I have two Twist n Shouts that are new this year and they have continued to flower all summer. When the Linders garden marts had their half price stuff I bought another original Endless Summer with lots of blooms. It has continued to flower and get new blossoms and even survived a dog pee attack which browned some of the leaves and blossoms. We’ll see how it does next year. My regular hydrangeas are all blooming beautifully and some are turning that lovely aged pink shade. I haven’t had a lot of mildew this year, just some insect eaten leaves.

Al Reller says:

August 10th, 2009 at 10:02 am

I have found yet another problem regarding Iris that aren’t blooming, It could be the fertilizer used. Many garden tipsters suggest that 10-10-10 is a good general fertilizer to use. However after some reading it seems that a 10-10-10 fertilizer doesn’t promote flowers but foliage! The fertilizer we should use for iris should have much smaller number in the first space.
Also I talked to my friend in Ely who runs a wonderful nursery. She said that regarding iris people are coming in and complaining that the hybrid iris are fading and reverting to pale yellows and white! She hadn’t heard of this before! Any ideas? comments? theories? I’ll send them on to Bonnie!

Chris says:

August 11th, 2009 at 8:33 am

What is going on with all the ants. I have them in my garden and when I transplant a Zucchini plant, they mound around it and them it dies. They got a little washed away wtih the rain. When it was dry they were bad. Help!!

Judybusy says:

August 11th, 2009 at 9:20 am

Chris, I usually don’t like to use pesticides,but I did with ants. You can buy little traps for them. I had them in my lawn, and among some coreopsis, and the trap took care of them. I got mine at my local hardware store.

Connie Nelson says:

August 11th, 2009 at 10:05 am

Chris,
I used boiling water on ants. That might be tough if they’re right in your garden. However, if your zuc is already dead, you can try a kettle full and see what happens.

Chris says:

August 11th, 2009 at 10:42 am

Judy, It would be great to find traps, because I do not use chemicals in my garden. Do you know the name? Are they sticky traps or boxs for them to crawl into. Thank you for the ideas.

Connie Nelson says:

August 11th, 2009 at 11:29 am

We’ve got a fresh new conversation going at http://www.startribune.com/greengirls.
Please join us there!