Gray is a Gopher again

Posted on November 12th, 2008 – 10:50 AM
By Kent Youngblood

MarQueis Gray has passed his ACT and is headed back to the University of Minnesota.

”Yeah, I passed,” Gray said in a text message this morning.  ”I plan on coming back when the bowl practices start.”

(Note to readers: While trying to post this as quickly as possible, I mistyped bowl as boal while transcribing the text message into the story. My bad, not Gray’s)

Gray, an Indianapolis native, was one of the most highly-rated dual-threat quarterbacks on the recruiting scene coming out of Ben Davis High School. He began practice with the Gophers during training camp, but had to  re-take his ACT test after his test score was flagged by the ACT board. Gray took the test again Oct. 11 and posted a qualifying score.

Gray won’t be able to practice with the team during the Gophers’ preparation for their bowl game, but he will be on-campus. He plans on enrolling in school in January and would be eligible to practice with the Gophers in the spring.

53 Responses to "Gray is a Gopher again"

Shawn in Binghamton says:

November 12th, 2008 at 10:58 am

Sweet!

Paul says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:07 am

People that buy into the perception that Michigan and Ohio State are recruiting better students are delusional. Since the U of M football team has been down, we haven’t created all those “Car Sales” Degrees that Michigan and Ohio State have. U of MN has had some of the most stringent entrance reqs. of any D-1 school for the last 15 years or more. We’ve had students fail to get in here that get into Stanford somehow..

Rotoblinders says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:11 am

how did Rotoblinders name and his e mail address show up on the “Please leave a comment” section of this blog on my computer? it is not me…i hope some one can tell me. thanks.

buck the fadgers says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:12 am

Hey Buck…you wanna roll, lets roll. Meet me an my crew in front of the phallic football statue, 2:00 Saturday. Prepare to have that statue shoved up your ass, but then again it should be easy for you you old champ.

Rotoblinders says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:13 am

the welcome message from startribune.com has my name correct…what is happening?

canoozer says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:16 am

Who cares about this guy? If Notre Dame fires Charie Weis will Michael Floyd come back to Minnesota?

Pat says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:16 am

Look at where the “a” and “w” are on a QWERTY keyboard. Looks more like a typo rather than not knowing how to spell.

BADGER BUCK says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:19 am

(Note to readers: While trying to post this as quickly as possible, I mistyped bowl as boal while transcribing the test message into the story. My bad, not Gray’s)

SURE, KENT, PEOPLE HAVE BEEN COVERING FOR THIS IDIOT HIS ENTIRE LIFE, WHY STOP NOW?

Gendo says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:19 am

Looks like a lot of you boys owe Mr. Gray an apology.

Typo Typo says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:20 am

Yo, Kent, you still have a typo in the sentence that contains the word “boal.”

Johnny says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:20 am

what does it mean to “pass” the ACT? It’s not a pass or fail test. Does it mean that he got the absolute bare minimum to be accepted at the U? What exactly is that?

Studwell55 says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:21 am

Relax, it was Kent’s error and he owned up to it, read the article again. Some of you people that post on blogs like this are such losers and dimwits and that includes you Wayne!

GOPHER1 says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:21 am

Good to hear he will be back, I can’t wait to watch him play in the future. go gophs!

BADGER BUCK says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:22 am

I’M THERE FROM BEHIND BOY! WILL YOU BE THE ONE WEARING THE GOOFER BEANIE AND KISSING YOUR DAD?

BADGER BUCK says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:24 am

YA, WHAT WAS THE SCORE KENT?!!!! CERTAINLY IT WAS EVEN HIGHER THAN THE LAST TIME {HE} TOOK IT??????? LOL

Jimbo says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:24 am

Hmmm. The spelling error seems to have been fixed.

Gendo says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:25 am

So how empty does your life have to be when you waste time apishly trolling opposing team blogs with all the subtlety of a brick to the head?

ALL CAPS, GAY JOKE, COMEDY GOLD

BADGER BUCK says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:27 am

IS HE GOING TO PREVENT YOUR LITTLE HAMSTERS FROM GETTING TURNED INTO MULCH IN 3 DAYS? DIDN’T THINK SO!!

BADGER BUCK says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:29 am

NOT AS SAD AS BEING A GOOFER FAN, GENDERCONFUSED!

Gendo says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:33 am

So I mean seriously, what’s the motivation here my fat internet friend? If you’re going to troll you need to be more clever about it. When you’re that over the top and infantile nobody’s actually going to get pissed off by it.

Dial it back a little, poke fun at tragedy. These are the hallmarks of internet trolling.

Neodoomium says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:36 am

Badger Buck you are the pinnacle of wit. You take people’s names and alter them! Whoa! You’re the next Richard Pryor!

check again says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:37 am

Kent-

How did your ACT go?

TEST message?!?!

”Yeah, I passed,” Gray said in a text message this morning. ”I plan on coming back when the bowl practices start.”

Gendo says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:38 am

Do you mean he’s going to light himself on fire in a disastrous freebasing accident?

Neodoomium says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:39 am

And by Richard Pryor, I mean I hope you light yourself on fire in a freebasing accident.

Gendo says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:41 am

Wow that’s spooky.

Digga says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:43 am

Good news for Marqueis and us, not often things pan out well for the maroon and gold. We look strong at QB for several years now.

buck the fadgers says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:47 am

Hey Buck..

No I’ll be the one standing in front of your mother on her knees. Its going to make me think twice about kickin your ass back to Janesville, but I’ll get over it quick.

Good thing you will wear all that red so the blood won’t show too much…

Sam says:

November 12th, 2008 at 11:48 am

This is old news. People on campus have known about this for a few weeks.

Jean says:

November 12th, 2008 at 12:00 pm

What was the ACT score for allowing him to play football? Then, let’s compare that to getting into the U academically and what the minimum score needs to be.

BigGuy says:

November 12th, 2008 at 12:10 pm

I got in ten years ago with no issues scoring a 19. Got all C’s and now have a degree and a fine job. Not rocket science. I think a 17 was needed back then.

Lou says:

November 12th, 2008 at 12:10 pm

Great job, Mr. Gray! We Minnesotan’s appreciate those that display extra effort and persistance.

badger bucks has no life says:

November 12th, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Wow arnt you impressive badger buck, spend your (obviously quality time that is very important, otherwise you wouldnt be commenting on here) time trying to rag on a 18 year old. What a Big guy you are. I am very proud of MarQueis, this just shows what type of charachter this man has ( oviously more than you). He is going to get a degree too, something you will never have.

Dash says:

November 12th, 2008 at 12:16 pm

Great job MarQueis!!

I look forward to watching you play on Saturdays in the very near future!

Everyone says:

November 12th, 2008 at 12:16 pm

Man, the strib seems to attract some pea-brained posters. Where do you people come from? I especially like the flamer from the 2-5 Badgers.

DrDon says:

November 12th, 2008 at 12:21 pm

I was going to comment on a “Congratulations” to Marquis, but with all of the nonsensical other comments, I chose not to. Too bad we can’t remain civil here. :-(

Parker West Des Moines says:

November 12th, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Congrats to Mr. Gray and the Gophers Football team.

Mr. Brewster is doing a great job building a program that he found as broke.

Just another piece of the young puzzle that he continues to mold.

Oh by the way ( University is misspelled in the article )

Go Gophers

MacDaddy1 says:

November 12th, 2008 at 12:32 pm

I refuse to comment on the intelligence of a person I have not met, or even heard speak. Shame on anyone who does.

JLM says:

November 12th, 2008 at 12:39 pm

Johnny and Jean asked a good question. What exactly was the bare minimum ACT score of Mr. Gray?

Littlebigboy says:

November 12th, 2008 at 12:46 pm

JLM none of our dam business. His score shouldn’t have to be made public. This isn’t politics.

schriendog says:

November 12th, 2008 at 12:52 pm

Any Badger fan who has an issue — the Madison profs still think Ron Dayne is 5’4″ and blonde.

Tim says:

November 12th, 2008 at 1:10 pm

My understanding is Gray had to get a 17 to be admitted. He had received a 21 previously, but the test was flagged cause the score went up a ton after he got tutoring and stuff. Instead of fighting the issue, he decided to just retake the test and got a high enough score again. To me this just legitimizes the 21. I welcome MarQueis to the U and look forward to watching him play the next four years. He looks like a good one.

JR says:

November 12th, 2008 at 1:17 pm

Division 1 has a sliding scale of GPA and test scores.

WrenSpoonsLoon says:

November 12th, 2008 at 1:36 pm

You wisko sickos can have a drunken bloodbath beating and bashing each other up. Drink up you smelly pile of dog doo doo drunks…drink till your liver bursts or you brains get bashed. All the sober fans will wonder what kind of society they have created in madison. Party til you puke bucky fans!

Big Ten lunchtime links: Lions’ Clark faces ‘test of will’ : BucksInsider.com - Ohio State Buckeyes News, Videos, Schedules & More says:

November 12th, 2008 at 1:40 pm

[...] prep quarterback MarQueis Gray is returning to Minnesota after passing the  ACT, the Star Tribune’s Kent Youngblood writes in his blog. Gray plans to [...]

Recruiting says:

November 12th, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Tim says:

November 12th, 2008 at 1:10 pm

=========================
Well then, given all the extra cram time, this score should have far exceeded the old 21, correct?

wrenagain2 says:

November 12th, 2008 at 9:50 pm

studwell55: so you have come here to post on this board so that you can try to dump on people who post on this board. You don’t know me: don’t call me Wayne. I don’t know your name, but if I did, I certainly wouldn’t talk to you. Now, go out and consume mass quantities. Do the alcoholic football fan thing. That fits you.

david_allen_coe says:

November 12th, 2008 at 10:20 pm

Crude_dung … Tell us, out of curiousity, in your lifelong history with doctors, shrinks, and the observers of the criminally insane, has anyone ever detected a brain in your fat body?

No? Didn’t think so.

D-Lew says:

November 12th, 2008 at 10:42 pm

I’m glad Marqueis Gray is back now the Golden Gophers have a good Quarterback not just a solid one.He will make us good for years to come.

wrenagain2 says:

November 13th, 2008 at 2:05 am

It won’t matter much unless there is an offensive line that blocks and there is a running game to take the heat off the qb. Can any potential qb take as many hits as Weber and come back from game to game the way this dunbar’s offense has called on Weber to be the running game and be the qb? Will Gray be able to take the physical pounding week after week?

It may surprise some people. Not many qb’s would survive what Weber has survived and in head to head competition I’m betting that for the next couple of years, it will be pretty hard to get Mr. Weber out of the starting line up. Competition is nice, but, the Big Ten is one physical conference. Unless a qb has a nice running game to take the heat off and a great offensive line to keep the hits off, that qb is going to be severely physically challenged. Only the strong will survive. The qb at Minnesota HAS to be tough as nails…HAS to play when he is hurt…and HAS to pretty much do it all himself…

Good luck and best wishes to Mr. Gray AND Mr. Weber!

Concerned Gopher MBA99 says:

November 13th, 2008 at 6:50 am

Our football team is already at the bottom of the conference in GPA and graduation rate, yet brewster keeps giving away free rides like they are lollipops to kids who can’t walk and chew gum at the same time. If his intent is to turn MN football into the Florida State of the Big 10, I have no interest. I would rather we drop the sport and will voice this opinion to every member of the regents, AD and admissions department that I can. I am not anti-sports, just concerned that we are spending $100k per year on ‘students’ who have little to 0 chance of graduating. There are more deserving HS students out there.

Littlebigboy says:

November 13th, 2008 at 11:23 am

A winning FB team will increase all donation funds to the U. People forget when alumni feel good about their U. they give more to all programs. Don’t forget that.

Littlebigboy says:

November 13th, 2008 at 11:24 pm

I’m littlebigboy and I have got to admit that it looks as though Brew doesn’t have very many standards. He probably will get this proram in trouble with the NCAA. He might even get a major death penalty before he is through. But, the risk is worth it. I really don’t think he can win without cheating.