Post-practice update

Posted on November 19th, 2008 – 5:35 PM
By Kent Youngblood

Greetings .

Here’s a quick post-practice update.

No real new injury news regarding safety Kyle Theret or linebacker Lee Campbell. Both are hobbled with ankle sprains. According to coach Tim Brewster both took limited part in practice today. Theret, at this point, appears closer to playing than Campbell.

Mike Rallis would play if Theret can’t play. Campbell would be replaced by Nate Triplett.

‘’Kyle is closer than lee at this point, but they practiced, so there is a good chance (they’ll play),’’ Brewster said.

Looking for good news? Brewster said wide receiver Eric Decker practiced very well, at full speed.

After practice Theret said he anticipated playing – or at the least giving it a try. But he said he won’t play if he can’t help the team.

Meanwhile, Brewster – who remains close to Texas coach Mack Brown, applauded the decision in Texas to name defensive coordinator Will Muschamp as the designated successor of Brown.

‘’We discussed it, talked about it,’’ Brewster said. ‘’There have been four defensive coordinators in four years there. At some point you need some continuity. This was a great, smart way for Mack to get some continuity on his staff. Plus, Muschamp is a great coach.

102 Responses to "Post-practice update"

Texas Gopher says:

November 19th, 2008 at 6:09 pm

Kent—you have done a phenomenal job this year covering the Gopher football program. I really enjoy checking in during the course of the work day. Do you happen to know how many scholarships we have to give this year?? Thanks again.

Gopher in So Cal says:

November 19th, 2008 at 7:38 pm

Ditto here!

grunkiejr says:

November 19th, 2008 at 7:58 pm

Rallis sounds like the newest example to use with potential walk ons. Every good team relies on the occassional walk on to make an impact.

That makes two Tow-Arnetts, Sherels, Kuznia and Rallis that are walk ons making significant commitments to the current Gopher team.

It would be nice to keep this up to supplement what we bring in through scholarships.

Bisker says:

November 19th, 2008 at 8:30 pm

I hope all three (Decker, Campbell, & Theret) can play Saturday. Being that this is the last regular season game, I’m sure that all of them will do everything possible to help the team. On the other hand, it is nice to see guys like Rallis & Triplett get a chance to contribute. They did admirable jobs filling in last Saturday & experience will only help them contribute more in the future.

Go Gophs!!

JC says:

November 19th, 2008 at 8:59 pm

Thanks Kent! Sorry you have to babysit. I hope it improves the quality of comments.

andover joe says:

November 19th, 2008 at 9:41 pm

Yes, but does Kent know that Reusse was teasing him on the radio?

I, however, like the level of insight Kent provides.

GO GOPHERS!!! says:

November 19th, 2008 at 11:27 pm

Another good story today on Rallis!! Here is a self-made player who just works day in to get better and it is paying off! Surprising to read, USC recruited him to walk-on, that’s pretty impressive!! The Gophers need more players like him, players who dont care about what awards players have won, just play 100% all the time!! True Brewster player!! Hope all 3 can play on Sat.!! Can’t wait!! We gonna make Iowa cry and gonna get that pig back!! GO GOPHERS!!!

zman says:

November 20th, 2008 at 4:59 am

Just saw your “mid-week frustration” post and couldn’t agree with you more. I like reading your blog, but I stay away from comments because they’re often over the top. Great job this year Kent. This football program is on the rise, and you have provided great inside perspectives on the transformation. Go Gophers! Bring home Floyd!

kelly leeks says:

November 20th, 2008 at 7:30 am

Kent — great job. I read your blog for the great practice updates.

On a more personal note, after a car accident this summer which left me for dead, I have learned that name calling and death threats have no place on the internet football blogs.

Sir Tipsy McStagger says:

November 20th, 2008 at 8:16 am

Yes, Kelly I agree. It was contrived and stupid. I apologize as well. Keep up the good work Kent, I enjoy reading your blog!

nitehawk says:

November 20th, 2008 at 8:48 am

Why is Pittman only getting spot playing time? Isn’t he a lot more mobile than Weber? Wouldn’t the two of them in the same backfield be a nice change when teams are putting so much pressure on the QB? Please continue to get rid of the people who make personal attacks. Lets just talk Gopher Nation!!!

BigGuy says:

November 20th, 2008 at 9:08 am

I believe Pittman tore his hamstring and never really got into things this year. He has been on the field in spots, but with injury it seems he didn’t get enough practice reps to contribute extensively.

I have stated a few times that a walk-on program is huge to this program. It is tough in this state with the number of quality DII and DIII programs and not to mention the Dakota teams. There are all kinds of kids playing at levels below class 4 in MN who could walk-on and improve the depth of this program.

Keepthisbrewsterhonest: contrast by THE RENEGADE says:

November 20th, 2008 at 9:15 am

This last regular season Big Ten game against iowa is a huge game in so many ways. It is key…it is essential for the Gopers to win this game.

3-5 in Big Ten has been considered to be “less than” by so many for a long time. This brewster will be very hard-pressed to keep his offensive coordinator on his staff if this spread offense fails to produce a win over the “smash mouth, zone blocking schemes employed by the iowa hawkeyes.

In Big Ten Football beng able to stop the run, and run the ball in November is the time-tested standard.

This game will mark the LAST regular season Big Ten game to EVER be played in a dome. Pay close attention to what the winds feel like. What the wind-chill feels like. Any moisture content in the atmosphere that makes it’s way to the streets will forever now become part of the game day environment in Minneapolis…in every other Big Ten city and will help dictate what teams NEED to do to win in November…for basically the last 1/2 of the Big Ten schedule each year. Run the ball. Stop the run.

For this reason, Big Ten teams NEED to be able to mix up their offenses, but also NEED to be able to pound the ball when the winds, rains and snows of November come swirling.

This brewster needs to take this into consideration when he recruits his teams, when he retains or hires offensive coordinators and when he prepares for the 2009 season and beyond.

Perhaps the spread offense can win 25% to 35% of the Big Ten games he coaches at Minnesota. However, 25 to 35% is NOT good enough. Those November games are HUGE. Year in and year out, close to 40% of the Big Ten games will be played in some stadiums in Big Ten country out side…in the elements. Some days will be 55 degrees and sunny. However, there will be those rainy, cold, snowy, freezing kinds of days too. It makes for GREAT drama and GREAT outdoor football. But NEVER forget that in November, the key to Big Ten Football for ANY team is to be able to run the ball and to be able to stop the run. Go Gophers. Beat iowa. It is a huge game. It is the LAST regular season game to be played in a damn dome…EVER!

November 20th, 2008 at 9:33 am

Good spread offenses run the ball effectively. Dunbar has said many times his goal is to balance the attack and be as productive running as passing.

A one-dimensional offense is no better if heavily weighted to running than if weighted towards passing.

However, when your weakest unit is the offensive line and you are playing freshmen running backs you can expect run deficiencies until you gain experience and depth.

The Gophers have done a good job this year of stopping the conventional running game. They have been hurt by quarterbacks running and using cutback lanes.

The Iowan says:

November 20th, 2008 at 9:37 am

You mean this blog will only entertain high levels of discourse such as “Who Hates Iowa….We Hate Iowa?” You neanderthals make me laugh with your self-importance!

BigGuy says:

November 20th, 2008 at 9:52 am

I have no hate for other Big Ten teams except for when they play the Gophers… ok I do hate the Badgers all the time.

The Gophers have nothing to lose this weekend, so I hope they let it all hang out and show some creativity on offense. Go for it. It is our last showing before a new era of Gopher football begins.

November 20th, 2008 at 10:03 am

My biggest hope is that 45,000+ Gopher fans will be louder than 20,000 Hogeye fans. Also that the Hogeyes will be so far out of it by halftime, that the black and gold slime will ooze out of the stadium.

GO GOPHERS!!!

November 20th, 2008 at 10:11 am

Jumbo … Don’t get your hopes up too high. 20,000 falling-down drunks usually make more noise than 45,000 football fans, although some of the sounds are indistinquishable from a large hog farm.

The Iowan says:

November 20th, 2008 at 10:13 am

45k goofer fans after 3 straight losses? Pass duh pipe, bruda!

The Iowan says:

November 20th, 2008 at 10:38 am

Again, 45+k after 3 straight chokeaways? Must be why every ticket exchange out there is littered with tickets to this game? Lots of family emergencies in the old “goofernation?”

grunkiejr says:

November 20th, 2008 at 10:55 am

Iowan–I don’t know what the crowd will be like either but we had 54,000 fans to play a really bad Michigan team. Fans should be more interested in a true rivalry game and the end of the Dome. There should be more than 40,000 and 50,000 Gopher fans would not surprise me. It is not like we got blown out by Northwestern or Wisconsin. The team is fighting and the fans see that.

BigGuy says:

November 20th, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Trib just posted a story about the Dome. Many former players and coaches quoted.

BLACKNGOLD says:

November 20th, 2008 at 3:13 pm

BREWSTER SAYS THE MN “D” HAS TO SWARM IOWA TO STOP GREENE. GOOD LUCK. THE ONLY SWARMING GOING ON SATURDAY WILL BE WHEN THE HAWKS TAKE THE FIELD IN THE TOILET BOWL FOR THE LAST TIME!!! I FEEL ANOTHER 200+ YARD GAME FOR GREENE COMING ON, AND WITH OUT THE WIND OR COLD, STANZI AND HIS WR’S SHOULD HAVE A FIELD DAY AS YOUR “D” FOCUSES ON THE UNSTOPPABLE GREENE!!! GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!

November 20th, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Jimbo I know this post is coming thru as you but the e-mail showed up on my computer as you. There must be something going on with the strib blog.

November 20th, 2008 at 3:29 pm

So didn’t they teach upper case and lower case at Hogeye U, Blackngold?

BigGuy says:

November 20th, 2008 at 3:37 pm

I say we all join on the field after the game to celebrate this being the last time more than 2,000 Iowa fans will attend a game in MN.

Brewster talked to Brown about Muschamp : BucksInsider.com - Ohio State Buckeyes News, Videos, Schedules & More says:

November 20th, 2008 at 3:42 pm

[...] Kent Youngblood’s blog in the Star Tribune. “We discussed it, talked about it,” Brewster said. “There [...]

November 20th, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Yeah, I’ve had that issue, too. Today Observer IV and d_a(sp)_c popped up where my name should be at different times. I was able to clear their names by using the refresh key.

November 20th, 2008 at 3:56 pm

Jumbo … Are you serious? Where the name and email should be? Unbelievable.

Shane says:

November 20th, 2008 at 4:18 pm

go gophers!!!

Bud says:

November 20th, 2008 at 5:03 pm

Jimbo, that was me who posted under your name. I do not know how that could have happened but it did. If someone is trying to secure the site they are flipping out everyone elses emails while they are tinkering with the site.

wrenagain2 says:

November 20th, 2008 at 5:29 pm

Testing…Beat iowa!

littlebigboy says:

November 20th, 2008 at 6:26 pm

The Dome officials are outlawing the Wave this weekend—they are afraid Iowa fans will drown.

grunkiejr says:

November 20th, 2008 at 10:17 pm

DAC-I’ve had your name and email pop up on my screen too. It was really weird but I hit refresh and it went right back to my own name.

Kent if you want a description of what is going on here feel free to email me.

mn_cagv says:

November 21st, 2008 at 12:53 am

What the heck happened to the Gopher fans I used to know? Where’s the spirit? Where’s the guts, huh? This could be the greatest night of our lives, but you’re gonna let it be the worst! “Ooh, we’re afraid to go with you Goldy, we might lose.” Well, just kiss my behind from now on! Not me! I’m not gonna take this! Greene, he’s a dead man! Herky, dead! Iowa–

Bisker says:

November 21st, 2008 at 7:55 am

mn_cagv,

Sweet “Animal House” reference!

Go Senator Blutarski!

Go Gophers!!

Texas Gopher says:

November 21st, 2008 at 8:25 am

testing—realizing that I have witnessed the beginning and end of the U of M at the dome, makes me feel old.

November 21st, 2008 at 8:43 am

Tex, imagine how I feel. I attended my first Gopher game in 1958 at Memorial Stadium with my Dad and older brother. (I was 8 at the time.)

Jimmy says:

November 21st, 2008 at 8:53 am

Running the spread is fine but the problem I see with Dunbar is that he is too reluctant to try something different. I have watched nearly every snap this year and I can recall Weber going under center only 1 time. It was last week for the two point conversion, and Eskridge scored easily. Most teams that run a spread variation also have a short yardage package they put in throughout the game. The Gophers have struggled all year with short yardage situations running and throwing. I know the O-line is young but that excuse is getting old. If you have played 11 games and you have struggled with short yardage why not try something different? Throw in an I formation once and a while. Get under center and knock some D line over.
I’m happy with where the Gophers are at but my biggest complaing is that Dunbar is to stubborn to try something different

Texas Gopher says:

November 21st, 2008 at 8:55 am

Jimbo–I am nervous about the game Sat. I have a bad feeling it could be one last gut-wrenching, heart-breaking loss. I hope the CFB gods look down on us and let the U go out on a good note. One thing I am confident in is that the team will play their hearts out the entire game.

Texas Gopher says:

November 21st, 2008 at 8:57 am

Jimmy–I have been singing that tune all year also.

Texas Gopher says:

November 21st, 2008 at 9:06 am

Jimbo–almost identical story except I was a couple years behind you. I hope your Dad is still alive and you two can go back to the new stadium together next year.

gold04 says:

November 21st, 2008 at 9:09 am

I do not have a good feeling about Iowa either. Frentz always outcoached Mason and I’m afraid he’ll do the same with Brewster.

November 21st, 2008 at 9:24 am

Thanks, Tex, but my Dad passed away almost 10 years ago. If he were still around, I’d definitely be bringing him to the new stadium.

I, too, would like to see Weber under center more often, but I’m thinking it’s more of a decision based on the personnel available than stubborness. I think we may see more variety next year with Bennett back, and a more seasoned o-line.

I’m going into this game with an open mind. The Gophers certainly COULD beat the Hogeyes. I just don’t know if they WILL. The breaks need to go our way for us to win.

GO GOPHERS!!!

Texas Gopher says:

November 21st, 2008 at 10:05 am

Jimbo and any others in the same boat. Is this whole end of an era (the dome) putting anyone else in a melancholy mood?? I too lost my Dad about 10 years ago. My brothers and I are looking forward to attending a game next year but absent a key member of our “Gopher team.” You guys that are going to the dome one last time, bring home a win.

November 21st, 2008 at 10:25 am

I have mixed feelings about the last game in the Dome.

Of course the terrible blown leads and losses to Michigan and Wisconsin are the worst memories … throw in the Purdue game too … but the high point was the two years under Holtz when the Dome just rocked.

Anybody remember the night we were two yards away from beating Oklahoma when they carried Rickie Foggie off the field?

Remember the night when the U had a “look like Lou” promotion? There were at least 30,000 Lou Holtz lookalikes there that night. It was hilarious.

Of course, I am as excited as anyone about having our own new stadium and playing back outside. Just saying it will be with mixed feelings I say goodbye to the Dome tomorrow night.

November 21st, 2008 at 10:42 am

Tex and d_a(sp)_c, I don’t know if “melancholy” is the right word. I certainly have some fond memories of experiences and games at the Dome, but overall I despise it as a Gophers and Twins venue. My excitement over the new stadium and going back to campus definitely outweighs any nostalgia I have for the Dome.

November 21st, 2008 at 10:45 am

Jumbo … Not calling it real nostalgia but just saying the Dome could have been a great home field advantage if Holtz had stayed and built a powerhouse.

November 21st, 2008 at 11:08 am

Maybe, d_a(sp)_c. I still have a hard time with Holtz walking away the way he did. I suppose I should be more irate with Giel for signing the contract with Holtz containing such a ridiculous clause.

Talk about an itinerant coach!

November 21st, 2008 at 11:19 am

Holtz didn’t walk away. The esteemed President of the University of Minnesota left him sitting and waiting in the ante room for more than an hour the day Holtz came in to talk about staying.

Texas Gopher says:

November 21st, 2008 at 11:34 am

Sspeaking of Holtz, I haven’t heard him say one good thing about the Gophers on ESPN game day telecasts. Mark May has chimed in with some positive info but never Holtz. May gave WVDS one of his “helmet stickers.” Of course, it could just be I have missed it but I have found it odd.

Derek says:

November 21st, 2008 at 12:43 pm

How soon people forget what a huge mess spitter Holtz left here at Minnesota.

Jimmy- I don’t understand it either.

The Iowan=PH. Yawn.

littlebigboy says:

November 21st, 2008 at 1:27 pm

I’ve now got a problem with my wife!! She went to games at the old Met, and Memorial stadium all bundled up, but now after the Dome she tells me I’m going by myself if it’s cold or raining. Alot of our friends feel the same way, party and TV no more snowmobile suits .

November 21st, 2008 at 1:51 pm

I’d say it’s time for a new wife and friends, littlebigboy!

November 21st, 2008 at 2:01 pm

How soon people forget that Holtz was the only real recruiter and football coach the Gophers have had up until Tim Brewster.

November 21st, 2008 at 2:04 pm

The difference being, d_a(sp)_c, that Brewster (I think) is not viewing this job as a short-term interim step toward his “dream” job.

Keepthisbrewsterhonest: contrast by THE RENEGADE says:

November 21st, 2008 at 2:10 pm

lou hoax cheated and had the program in rouble ith the NCAA. He did more to destroy Gopher football than anyone. I was there and hoax’s hoax didn’t create that many wins. He gave thumbs up to the dome and then he bagged. He never even came back to talk to his players. He broke the rules. He cheated. He got the program in trouble with the NCAA. IF you people think that wa a good thing, I think you had better watch what happens to programs that get in a LOT of trouble with the NCAA. hoax would have had the program there sooner rather than late. The Good Father’s at ND even eventually helped urge hoax to leave before he tarnished the Godlen Dome too much. He had somewhat of a bag-lady who worked for some car dealership in South Bend. At Minnesota he had luther darville to do his deeds.

November 21st, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Peter McGrath killed Gopher football in 1985. He had a chance to keep Holtz and, instead, he decided to play a game called “I’m more important to the University than you are.”

What a joke. Liberal “educators” whining for someone else’s money are a dime a billion. There were only a handful of people who could build a football program, restore spirit to the university and community, fill the stadium, support all non-revenue sports, and win football games.

November 21st, 2008 at 2:15 pm

Jumbo … Holtz did not necessarily view the job that way either. He had the Notre Dame clause but he also liked the job here. McGrath could have kept him and blew it.

November 21st, 2008 at 2:16 pm

Holtz did not bring Luther Darville to Minnesota.

November 21st, 2008 at 2:30 pm

Back to the move from the Dome.

At the risk of offending Mrs. littlebigboy, I’d like to point out that Mrs. Jimbo is nearly as excited as me for the move to TCF Bank stadium. We were in Madison last weekend, and by gosh, we tailgated for 3 hours before the game, and sat through the 4 hour marathon at Camp Randall. All of it without the comforts of a dome. Mrs. Jimbo and I aren’t exactly “spring chickens,” and I believe the weather in Madison last Saturday was very similar to what it will be here tomorrow.

Quite frankly, littlebigboy, your wife and friends are in a severe minority. Make sure their tickets get into the hands of some true Gopher fans.

November 21st, 2008 at 2:39 pm

Jumbo …. ALERT!!!!!!! …

The U has some kind of useless politically correct committee set up to decide what will be allowed at tailgating in the new stadium.

Do I need to say more about what ridiculous path this could go down?

November 21st, 2008 at 2:45 pm

d_a(sp)_c, I’ve often said that having fun is pretty much illegal in Minnesota. I often break the law in that regard, however.

That’s the first I’ve heard of this committee. Where can I get information? Perhaps some normal people should try to exert some influence?

November 21st, 2008 at 2:54 pm

Jumbo … It’s something called Gameday Operations Committee. There was a story in the Minnesota Daily a few days ago.

the Loon says:

November 21st, 2008 at 3:21 pm

It is fair and instructive to notice that dac and other compare Holtz with Brewster. We know that Holtz paid players to come here via Luther Darnville (sp?). If you want to know why this country is slipping into the sewer you only have to note who your heroes are today. “Let’s cheat our way to victory!”

November 21st, 2008 at 3:21 pm

wren and Derek … Let’s keep the record straight in the interest of an honest discussion.

1) Lou Holtz did not bring Luther Darville to Minnesota. He was here.

2) Darville headed up an Office of Minority Affairs. He had his own agenda and own source of funds. There is not proof Holtz controlled what he did or provided the funding.

3) Darville gave money to minority students who said they needed it. Not just to football players and not just to athletes.

4) Darville was operating in that capacity before Holtz arrived and after Holtz left.

I will not say that Holtz was in the dark or that he did not approve. I have no way of knowing. However, this was a University operation not a football operation. It was an operation that duplicated what was going on in every university in America.

I have waited 40 years to have someone explain to me how a poor minority athlete from a welfare home can go to Miama, Virginia, Oklahoma, USC, Ohio State, or Michigan five years without spending money for a pizza, to wash his clothes, to fly home for Easter, or buy a burger when the training table is closed.

November 21st, 2008 at 3:26 pm

Loon says,

“We know that Holtz paid players to come here via Luther Darnville (sp?).”
____________

We do not know that. Dar(n)ville was running an Office of Minority Affairs. He was running it before Holtz arrived and after Holtz left. He gave money to minority students, some of whom were football players and many of whom were not.

My comparison of Brewster to Holtz is that both can recruit, build a program, build spirit and enthusiasm within the university and the community, and hopefully Brewster can also put people in the stands and win games like Holtz did wherever he coached.

November 21st, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Looney … At least we have accomplished something … this board was getting so boring even Kent won’t read it.

s93skier says:

November 21st, 2008 at 3:45 pm

Jimbo

littlebigboy’s wife is my mom dude! Are you trying to break up our happy home! :) actually I have not lives with them in 13 years.

November 21st, 2008 at 3:49 pm

Apparently since Looney Toons thinks Holtz was paying his players, and d_a_(sp)_c draws comparisons between Holtz and Brewster, that proves that Brewster is paying his players.

Now THAT’S some sound logic!

November 21st, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Jumbo … Of course we all knew that leap of logic was coming from Looney.

But before we even address that subject, somebody has to show proof that Holtz paid players. Someone has to show proof Holtz was behind the Darville operation.

And in doing so, please give me a credible explanation of why Holtz would run an operation that gave only some of the money to football players and more money to other athletes and EVEN TO NON-ATHLETE STUDENTS. Did Holtz just have a big heart? ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

November 21st, 2008 at 4:02 pm

Jumbo … But as I said earlier, I wanted to introduce a subject with some controversy because I sincerely feared the board was becoming so boring Kent would never return.

November 21st, 2008 at 4:04 pm

s93skier, sorry if I caused a rift between your Mom and Dad. Normally, I try to not interfere in people’s relationships, but this is serious stuff!

November 21st, 2008 at 4:16 pm

Jumbo … Please investigate that goofy committee and insinuate yourself and some common sense into the tailgating policy.

It sure will be fun showing up a couple of hours early to eat cold hotdogs and sip ice tea while busybody U administrators run from car to car to make sure nobody is breaking the rules.

If these bureaucrats are left to their own devices we’ll be lucky to have 10,000 people attending Gopher games.

NYC Gopher Fan says:

November 21st, 2008 at 4:43 pm

Keepthisbrewsterhonest: contrast by THE RENEGADE says:

November 21st, 2008 at 4:48 pm

hoax didn’t bring darville to Minnesota ut darville was the resident bag man and hoax certainly took advantage of his services.

Keepthisbrewsterhonest: contrast by THE RENEGADE says:

November 21st, 2008 at 4:50 pm

May the U of M officials do their jobs. We don’t want anything that is not legal going on. If people are ding the crime…let them do the time!

Keepthisbrewsterhonest: contrast by THE RENEGADE says:

November 21st, 2008 at 5:00 pm

hoax handed some money to a player from Cincy himself. That came out when hoax was dragged out to San Diego to testify to an NCAA investigative committee. Thank God that hoax was gone from the Universtiy and at ND. By that point in time he would have had the U o M in Big Time trouble with the NCAA.

In the end, hoax did a LOT more harm than good in the short time he was at Minnesota.

By the way, the NCAA came after bmoc harvey M. for some of the questionable influence he had as a booster at the U of M. They told the U of M they needed more institutional control over some of the booster-types over there. hoax was bad news…

November 21st, 2008 at 5:00 pm

If you are going to post here, address the former head football coach by his name. It is Lou Holtz.

In addition, if you are going to accuse him of criminal activities show some evidence or better yet, proof. And kindly explain why a football coach would “take advantage of the services” of a man running an Office of Minority Affairs and who was passing money out to students in the general population.

How is that the responsibility of the football coach?

November 21st, 2008 at 5:02 pm

Please explain how Holtz is responsible for the actions of a multimillionaire Minnesotan who was involved in the athletic program decades before Holtz arrived and decades after.

You will not come on here and throw around unfounded charges, lies, slanders, and slurs. Not any more.

littlebigboy says:

November 21st, 2008 at 5:29 pm

Holtz was a shrewd operator. He worked thru fear and intimidation. He proabaly didn’t actually know who got what, his statement to underlings was “we’ve got a problem, I don’t care what you do, solve it and don’t come back till you do” !!!! I know this for a fact.

littlebigboy says:

November 21st, 2008 at 5:30 pm

That being said, the man could flat out coach and motivate.

Bud says:

November 21st, 2008 at 5:31 pm

DAC you make me laugh. Lou did nothing but the U paid the penalty for LD. Sweet Lou has left a trail of probations at every University he has coached at. ND found a travel agent that was flipping the players free flights after Lou left. I am sure she was there before Lou got to ND and she was there after he left. What a piece of work. Prove this and prove that. Thats your stand pat alibi for every thing. The staduim will be close to full for the first year but if we do not win the same attendance numbers will show up in 2010. I wounder how some of the football alumni feel about their self worth. If you buy a ticket to the bowl game you get the same number of priority points as a player that played at the U. Don’t get me wrong I think that anything they can do to get tickets sold for the bowl game is good but the admin. at the U should think before they act.

November 21st, 2008 at 5:45 pm

” … his statement to underlings was “we’ve got a problem, I don’t care what you do, solve it and don’t come back till you do” !!!! I know this for a fact.”
_______________

littlebig … If you know it for a fact, then please direct me to the tape recording of that conversation so I can hear it for myself. Thanks in advance.

November 21st, 2008 at 5:51 pm

Bud … The U was penalized for violations committed by the Office of Minority Affairs. It was an office that functioned both before and after the tenure of Lou Holtz.

It is not good enough to blame Holtz because you heard a rumor about a travel agent in North Dakota. Some people are trying to spread the same slanders and slurs about the current coach.

Let’s stick to what is provably true. I will not allow character assassination of public figures who are not here to defend themselves.

I will, with some amusement, suffer character assassination of other slanderers and character assassins posting here if you would like but you will then be subject to reprimand by the host.

November 21st, 2008 at 5:53 pm

“That being said, the man could flat out coach and motivate.”
___________

Even without “that being said”, since it is not substantiated, the man was a genius at building a program, recruiting, motivating, uplifting the Gopher community, filling the stands, and winning football games. That is our hope for the current head coach.

November 21st, 2008 at 5:55 pm

Bud … Before you go ballistic, I know you didn’t mean ‘North Dakota’ by ND. Just having some fun, ok?

Bud says:

November 21st, 2008 at 6:04 pm

Ya DAC and Sweet Lou knew nothing about it. I know your answer to this but I will share it with you anyway. I have a client who proudly wear’s the badge as a Lou Holtz bag man. He is one of the most loyal Gopher fans I have ever met. I said to him why would you want to do something like pay players money and he said that Lou said that was the only way they were going to get the thing turned around. Now I was very sceptical of his statements until he produced a National Championship Ring from ND. I said, how did you get that and he said from Lou. I said why did he give you a Ring and he said that there was 4 guys in the cities that continued to pay recruits after they decommitted from the U and went to ND. I said why would you have done that and he said because Lou had convienced them that if the kids ever talked about the money they were promised at the U then the U would pay the penalty. As goofy as this sounds I did see the ring and I know how much they love the U so it makes sence to me.

Bud says:

November 21st, 2008 at 6:11 pm

By me sharing this with you in no way reflects that I think the current coaching staff is cheating. I believe the rules have been tightened up sence those times and if a coach gets caught cheating now of days the penalty also is placed on him. Bob Pruit from Marshall thought he could get oput from under the cheating he did there by stepping down but this year when he returned to coaching the NCAA placed sanctions on him at Virgina.

keepthisbrewsterhonest: contrast by THE RENEGADE says:

November 21st, 2008 at 6:51 pm

I just want the current coach and any other coach who ever coaches at the University of Minnesota to win a significant number of Big Ten Football Games, to graduate ever increasing numbers of football players and to run a completely honest football program. I want NO cheaters. I want NO bag-men/women. I want honesty from the top to the bottom. Nothing else counts. Nothing else matters. NEVER AGAIN do I want a hoax-like crook running the University of Minnesota Football Program.

grunkiejr says:

November 21st, 2008 at 9:20 pm

NYC Gopher Fan says:
“Greetings from southern Minnesota. My brother arrived from Des Moines this morning and reports that talk radio in Iowa is saying the Hawkeyes will win 38-10. F that.”
—————————————-

For what it’s worth Adam Rittenberg from ESPN (Big Ten Blogger) picks the Gophers to win 24-21. He thinks that Stanzi will make a key turnover down the stretch. I know it is just one more opinion but he is unbiased and his prediction percentage is 81% this year.

I would personally be very surprised if this game is more than a 7 point differential.

grunkiejr says:

November 21st, 2008 at 9:35 pm

The recruiting visitors have changed for tomorrow.

Still coming:
-4 star OT Taylor Lewan from AZ
-4 star LB Jeremy Gainer from Detroit (Ind. commit)
-3 star DB Kenny Watkins from Detroit (Ind. commit)

No longer coming:
-4 star DB Jermain Robinson from NY
-3 star DB Demontre Hurst from TX

Coming in their place:
-4 star Juco DB Daryl Robinson from PA
-2 star DB Dakotah Taylor from IN

Details on the first 5 that were planning to attend are available on the mid-week frustration blog a couple days ago. Here is some stuff on the new guys.

Daryl Robinson is a 5’10″ 175 lbs JuCo CB that runs a 4.5 40. He played at Temple his freshman year before transferring to a junior college in CA. He has an offer Minnesota and Akron and is being recruited by Miami, Ariz, Pitt, and West Virginia. Even though he is from JuCo it seems odd that a 4 star doesn’t have more & better offers so he might be overrated by the scouting services.

Dakota Taylor is a 6’0″ 205 lb safety from Indianapolis, IN that runs a 4.4 40 yard dash. He has offers from both Purdue, Indiana, Cincinnati, and Eastern Michigan and is being recruited by Central Mich & Louisville. Minnesota has not yet offered him a scholarship. In high school he plays QB and FS and often comes up in to the box and is supposed to be a good tackler. It sounds like he could be a SS or FS in college.

the Loon says:

November 21st, 2008 at 10:49 pm

dac, I do not play the “if you can not prove it, it did not happen” game. Nor does the NCAA. If you give a benefit to an athlete that is not generally available to any student, you are in violation of the NCAA regs.

I don’t live my life that way, and I do not want any part of a program that does.

If I could work my way through university without any help from anyone, surely one of your poor “disadvantaged {??}” students should be able to get by on a full ride. If they can not, they are bums and wimps. Nobody ever said a free education should be easy.

Bud says:

November 22nd, 2008 at 9:38 am

I don’t know if many of you remember the 1992 Iowa/Gopher game in the dome but it is the only time in NCAA history the visiting team recieved a penalty for excessive crowd noise. I remember it like it was yesterday. We had the ball going in oppisite the student section and the Black and Gold filled that end zone. The official kept stopping the game to quiet the crowd and each time he marked the ball for play they became louder. We can win this game but the stars are going to have to line up just right. Iowa has a very good front seven on defense and we are going to have to earn our yards on the ground. If our defense can stop the run and make them throw then we stand a chance. If we let them play their game we will lose. It is going to be cold in the tailgate lot tonight. Hope we win.

littlebigboy says:

November 22nd, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Dac, no tape,just know some of the people that he said it to.

grunkiejr says:

November 22nd, 2008 at 12:55 pm

Bud, you don’t give the Gophers enough credit if you believe it will take the aligning. The Hawkeyes are good but they are still a 7-4 team which indicates they are not a complete team. Greene is a great back. Defensively it is the same game plan as last week, contain the run and force the QB to beat you. Sherrer was able to step up and now we have to see if Stanzi can do it.

The Iowa run defense is better than the pass defense which should help us. We need to contain the pass rush of the front four to give Weber time. Iowa is 10th or 11th in the Big Ten in sacks so containing the pass rush seems possible on paper.

Lastly, we need win the turnover margin. If we can get them in third and long situation or play from ahead it should all WVDS to rush the passer without worrying about Greene.

November 22nd, 2008 at 1:56 pm

Looney says,

“dac, I do not play the “if you can not prove it, it did not happen” game.”
_________

I know you don’t, loon. You have made it very clear in thousands of posts the game you play is slur, slime, slander, accuse and defame “because you can’t prove I’m wrong”.

There is a word to describe a man that would stoop that low to slime people without evidence. Kent prefers such honesty be avoided here.

November 22nd, 2008 at 1:57 pm

Bud … That’s a nice story and clever too. What is the man’s name who told you about it?

November 22nd, 2008 at 2:19 pm

loon says,

“If I could work my way through university without any help from anyone, surely one of your poor “disadvantaged {??}” students should be able to get by on a full ride.”
___________

Loon … there is nothing displayed in your writing skills that would indicate you ever attended college for even a day. Certainly your crass and blatant racism would not place you in the pool of educated men and women.

But assuming for a minute you might have struggled for a semester or two of higher education, that is entirely different from the experience of a football player.

You contributed nothing to your school. You did not devote thousands of hours preparing yourself for a sport. You did not suffer the pain of conditioning, weight lifting, broken bones, and torn ligaments. Nobody cared that you were in school. Nobody bought a ticket or donated money because of your presence and any who had known you personally would have discontinued their association with a school that allowed a bigot to be a student.

Hundreds of athletes in a couple dozen non-revenue sports did not fly around the country, live in nice hotels, and play their genteel games because of revenue you helped produce.

So you see, loon, if you did go to college for even a week or two, no one will ever confuse your lack of contribution with what a football player does.

Goldy_is_my_hero! says:

November 22nd, 2008 at 3:15 pm

Kent, unlike certain cretins who sniffle about the good old days when they could foul this board with nonsense and vitriol, I appreciate your efforts. The blog IS vastly more entertaining this way.

Mr. Loon apparently subscribes to a guilty until proven innocent system of justice since he does not play that “proof game.” Perhaps he would think differently if the charges were leveled at him.

For years the Dome was hailed as a recruiting tool — the kids would want to play in an NFL stadium — and now TCF Bank is the answer. Perhaps one day soon the university will run out of excuses. For those who accuse Coach Brewster of being a megalomaniac I can think if no other quality of character necessary to overcome the inertia of mediocrity allowed over four plus decades.

benjamin says:

November 23rd, 2008 at 10:24 am

I think your right kent Webber has been brutal down the stretch his decision on #3 downs have been brutal. He take the first read most the time ie: 3 and 9 he will take the running back for a 3 yard gain. Brewster has to have a open Quarterback competition next year because he went way backwards the last 4 games.

Bud says:

November 23rd, 2008 at 11:31 am

DAC, now if I told you that I would lose the confidence of the individual that told me. I did not share that with the board to try and get someone in trouble and I think the statue of limitations is long gone on that one.