Post-practice update

Posted on August 10th, 2009 – 7:53 PM
By Kent Youngblood

Just thought I’d pop on with a few quick updates before heading home.

–By all accounts it was a very crisp first practice today; Adam Weber talked about how few mistakes were made and how well the team moved through the drills and sets. That can only be a good sign. There is a lot of experience on this team, with veterans at nearly every position.

–Defensive end Derrick Onwuachi hurt his leg during the team portion of the workout. Brewster said he’d have a better idea how serious the injury was by Tuesday but indicated it shouldn’t be that bad.

–Eric Decker admitted that he’s a little behind the curve when it comes to the Gophers new offense after missing spring ball while playing baseball. By the way, Decker is up around 222 pounds, and it all looks like muscle to me. That’s up from the 212 he played at last year way up from the 207 he was at for baseball.

–Jeff Tow-Arnett is looking good coming back from knee surgery last winter. One reason, he said, was a multiple-day rolf session he and his brother Nick underwent near the end of July. I’m not an expert on Rolfing, but it is a heavy-duty method of deep tissue manipulation that Tow-Arnett is now a big fan of.

As for the comments. I’m not really interested in being a blog policeman. On the other hand, I don’t like some of the stuff that gets posted in the comments. Thing is, most of the folks who write the crummy stuff do it under emails that don’t really exist. So I’m thinking I’m just going to do my best to get rid of anyone who crosses the line. I think a one-strike rule is the best anyway.

That’s about it. I’ll get back to you tomorrow after practice.

51 Responses to "Post-practice update"

Marty McFly says:

August 10th, 2009 at 8:39 pm

Thanks, Kent. Look forward to further updates.

Questionmark says:

August 10th, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Kent, the running drills at 6 A.M. Do you know what they measured? 40 yrd time, 10 yard time, pro agility, cone drill? Or was the old 16 100yrd dashes?

And if it was the former, who is the fastest Gopher and who is the turtle?

Curious George says:

August 10th, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Thanks Kent for the double dipped cone of two posting today. This time I discovered the second page.

david_allen_coe says:

August 10th, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Kent says,

“Ra’shede Hageman looks like a beast. He already looks like he has an NFL body. Man. He’s 6-6, looks to be over 250 and he can run.”
_______________________

As I have mentioned here several times before, Hageman is the number 1 recruit in this class. He will be the next of a recent stream of great tight ends at Minnesota.

gold04 says:

August 11th, 2009 at 1:53 am

Ken,

Get rid of Dac, Recruiting, and Wren and you’ll have no more problems!

jolietgopher says:

August 11th, 2009 at 6:36 am

Kent,

Last year the non-development of several key positions was partly a reason for the 0-5 finish to the season. One position was a #2 WR (there was no one Weber would throw to other than number 7). Plus since the departure of VanDeSteeg there is a glaring void of D-lineman who can put pressure on the opposing QB. What have the new Co-ordinators said they will be doing to alleviate these questions?

Bayfieldgopher says:

August 11th, 2009 at 7:22 am

Some info on Syracuse first practice. Its interesting that the new coach has cleaned house as 16 scholarship players are no longer on the team. Some here ripped Brewster when some of the same happened here during his first year.

BigGuy says:

August 11th, 2009 at 8:22 am

While taking Sports Psychology in college, one thing that I learned was that the longer one stays involved in sports the less morally developed they are. Comments on this blog seem to prove that theory.

Bayfieldgopher says:

August 11th, 2009 at 8:36 am

Jolietgopher: ….there is a glaring void of D-lineman who can put pressure on the opposing QB. What have the new Co-ordinators said they will be doing to alleviate these questions?
******************

I am encouraged with McKinleys play against KU as he registered two sacks and 4 tackles. He looks in tremendous condition on the video of the first practice. Onawauchie had zero sacks last year and Jacobs .5 and just a few tackles and not much PT. I hope Jacobs steps up and claims the other DE spot as he is a load and two more years ahead of him.

We need stellar play and an inside push from Brown/Small and Edwards which will help the DE’s.

Last year we saw a lot of blitz’s and some 3-5. We also got burned at various times when we had single coverage on blitz packages. Sherels and Simmons need to be more consistent with their coverages. But I like the agressive approach to D rather than the passive give the yards and hope the opposing offense makes a mistake.

david_allen_coe says:

August 11th, 2009 at 8:46 am

Bayfield … McKinley will definitely provide a push from one side. Jacobs should be ready to contribute at the other DE.

Another intriguing possibility is to move Kirksey from tackle to end. He is a very explosive rusher.

Gregory58 says:

August 11th, 2009 at 9:14 am

Ok now there is actually some football to talk about, why don’t the freaks take a little break and let the football fans discuss the upcoming season?

david_allen_coe says:

August 11th, 2009 at 9:33 am

No one needs to be excited about the team losing its “starting center”, out with back problems.

We don’t have a starting center. There are at least four guys who might start at center. It is a sign of the great improvement in depth on this team that we have competition at every position, and especially center.

We will know the starting center sometime before September 5. It will probably take a number of practices for that to start working itself out.

When Wynn returns he will have his own opportunity to move into the lineup.

Recruiting says:

August 11th, 2009 at 9:49 am

Are you the coach now DAC, or still just a cheerleader?

Bayfieldgopher says:

August 11th, 2009 at 9:55 am

Hey Kent. Have you considered appointing a moderator with the dictatorial(sp) power to delete according to his/her whim or mood? Anonymous of course.

I nominate Curious George.

Texas Gopher says:

August 11th, 2009 at 10:38 am

I second the nomination of Curious George. Grunkie, thanks for the follow-up to my question regarding Lawrence. Last year’s roster had him at 205. If he has put on 20 pounds of muscle this past year, he will be tough. Kind of a poor mans Lawrence Taylor type LB.

Curious George says:

August 11th, 2009 at 10:39 am

Bayfieldgopher says:

August 11th, 2009 at 9:55 am

I nominate Curious George.
___________________

I am afraid the position would put me in a higher tax bracket. It is interesting concept but it would require someone who is open to all points of view but would recognize inappropriate postings (What ever that means), i.e. a benevolent dictator. Texas Gopher is your man.

Curious George says:

August 11th, 2009 at 10:44 am

Bayfieldgopher – You would also be an excellent candidate but are far enough away that you could be objective.

Curious George says:

August 11th, 2009 at 10:48 am

The fist thing you should do is delete my last postings and replace it with:

Bayfieldgopher – You would also be an excellent candidate and are far enough away that you could be objective.

the Loon says:

August 11th, 2009 at 11:12 am

Hopefully, and quickly, I hope the coaches and players get away from their focus on last season or the whole of the coming season. The game at Syracuse is all that matters.

The start of the season is going to be all about execution by everyone associated with the team. Starting on the road and against a whole new Syracuse team will make that even harder for the younger players who make the trip.

There will be no “Ooops!” regarding that particular game.

I wish Brewster had started his first season talking the way he speaks now about a more violent O. He has used up a good deal of my “oh, he really knows what he is doing” patience and now he is on a very short leash of his own making. His decisions have led us to this point and he just has to get this team off to a positive start, road game or not.

My recollection is very clear on this point: the fans absolutely wanted a harder schedule and they will cry like babies if we lose any of those games.

You wanted Cal, etc and now we are stuck with the reality that there are very few 60/40 games on this schedule. Syracuse is one of those, road or no road.

Time for everyone to execute their particular jobs. Snap counts, personal fouls, etc. must be correct on every play.

Good luck and Go Gophers!!

Derek says:

August 11th, 2009 at 11:27 am

Texas Gopher or Curious George would be most fair as a mod.

If Wisocnsin and Iowa trolls were driven out of here, I’d be fine with the blog. 99% of the language and homosexual comments come from them or are directed back at them.

Laxgoph says:

August 11th, 2009 at 11:48 am

Today has been the best day for this blog. It was actually a discussion about the football team….amazing wish it could be like this every day..

Bud says:

August 11th, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Hey Bayfield, you ever heard two wrongs do not make it wright? Keep the excusses coming. We will see in a couple of weeks what will unfold this year.

Curious George says:

August 11th, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Loon – Football is an emotional game that requires the players to focus with intensity each week on a new team. The reality is that it is an impossible task for a team to be up every week. The best you can hope for is to smooth out the lows and have the highs at the right time. Bud Grant recognized this when he said it is not just important who you play but when you play them. That along with the way the football bounces is the luck part of the game, a very important part.

The art of coaching is recognizing the above and then managing your teams emotional capital through the ups and down of a season to maximize your success.

It would be interesting to hear from people on this blog how they would prepare and deal with the following schedule and challenges:

Your first game is at Syracuse, a team that has a new coach, a new system and 16 players who have either decided to leave or were asked to leave. Your players are thinking about the first game at TCF Stadium against the Air Force Academy and then you play at home against California, a potential top 10 team with a history of not playing well in morning games out east.

Then you have Northwestern away, followed by Wisconsin at home, and then homecoming with Purdue. All potential wins were we may or not be favored.

Then you have three tough games in a row (Two that some would say are long shot wins at best) with Penn State and Ohio State away followed by Michigan State at home.

You close the regular season with Illinois and South Dakota State at home followed by Iowa at Iowa City. These are three very differnt teams.

All right coaches, how are you going to maximize your emotional capital to achieve the best results?

Brainfreeze says:

August 11th, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Kent, I like the new policy. Hopefully this will bring some of the people back to the blog that actually have something to offer. Not saying that I offer much myself, but I enjoy reading what others have to say that do alot more digging around for stories on recruits than myself.

NY says:

August 11th, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Loon: Why would we “cry like babies” if we lose any of the non conference games? What an assumption. If we lose to lowly Syracuse (a good friend of mine at work is a big Orange fan), then I might cry. I’m looking forward to seeing how they execute against the Falcons and da Bears. Should be an interesting season. Cannot wait

Curious George says:

August 11th, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Rittenberg’s Big Ten Bowl Predictions (Click on below)

It is interesting how down people are on Michigan. They are predicted as a “Possibly” bowl participant. It is understandable, given what has happened there lately, but they have recruited a lot of talent. They have the number one ranked recruiting class in the big ten for 2007, the number two ranked class for 2008, 2009, and for 2010 year-to-date. You should be able to do something with that much talent.

Now Wisconsin is a different story. They are predicted as a “Count on It” bowl participant. Yet their record and their recruiting classes seem to be going down hill. Their 2007 recruiting was ranked 6th in the Big Ten, 5th in 2008, 7th in 2009, and 11th in 2010 year-to-date.

Bayfieldgopher says:

August 11th, 2009 at 1:16 pm

The rubber will meet the road when the Gophers take on Syracuse. This is a game we should win and a L will raise some serious ?’s.

Fans want a lot of things. But this is about what Brewster wants and he has upgraded the schedule accordingly. The days of 3 or 4 cupcakes are over and that is the direction most if not all the BT teams will take.

Brewster made plenty of goofs Loon during his short tenure. I really believe he is putting together a team/ staff that reflects his philosophy; that is tough and agressive football. I hope we see more of each this Fall along with a decent bowl game.

I don’t make excuses Bud. I am realist and post what I know and what I see about the Gophers.

I have been saying all along that the bottom line is we need better talent
in order to be competitive. Then Brewster must make better decisions and has to put together a good scheme with coaches who want to hang around for longer than a year.

Tell me Bud, where are the excuses you accuse me of making? LMaybe you are confusing my attempts to correct many of your erroneous posts as excuses. I don’t sugar coat.

Rescooter says:

August 11th, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Yo Budly!

Any word on Hayo and/or the convicted felon running back?

Curious George says:

August 11th, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Yo Budly!

Any word on Hayo and/or the convicted felon running back?

Rescooter says:

August 11th, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Bud is now in hiding.

He has lowered himself (if that’s possible) to being a drive-by troll.

I’m glad Kent is monitoring this board. Having Wren and Recruiting off this board is a breath of fresh air.

southernrodent says:

August 11th, 2009 at 2:54 pm

You know, I keep reading about how upset folks will be if the team does poorly in it’s non-conference schedule. I’ll be honest, I won’t like it if they lose to Air Force, Syracuse or Cal, but I would MUCH rather see a schedule with teams I’ve heard of than play UL-Lafayette or the like.

These players are not going to improve unless they play against higher caliber competition.

Can anyone tell me what, if anything, Jewhan Edwards is doing?? Haven’t heard anything about him. Is he still on team, if so, where is he in the depth chart?

Good to see Decker getting bigger and stronger. Hopefully he won’t take the pounding he did last year and the ball will get spread around a little more. (Looking at you Hayo!!)

Rescooter says:

August 11th, 2009 at 3:10 pm

Amen regarding the OOC schedule. The only way to get better is to get tested by formidable opponents. Plus it makes for great early games. Syracuse is looking like they’ve more problems than having a bad team, so I’m thinking that game is a good first game.

Regarding Jewhan Edwards (#68), he’s looking at being 2nd in the rotation to Small. Small is an animal and he continues to bulk up and he seems to be even quicker this year. Between Small and Brown, we’ll have a decent interior line. It will certainly help the LBs and DBs on the bubble screens and short crossing patterns. Those are notorious week spots for the Gophers.

NY says:

August 11th, 2009 at 3:11 pm

This year Syracuse is on par with UL-Lafayette, unfortunately. They are rebuilding.

the Loon says:

August 11th, 2009 at 4:52 pm

If want to get tested we should show up against more of the Big Ten teams on our schedule every year. If we are not ready to beat a badly injured NU team at our stadium, if we are not ready to beat the worse Michigan team in thirty plus years at our stadium, perhaps we should put the big talk aside and just concentrate on defeating a Syracuse team to get the season off on a positive note?

Heck, what would I know about these things compared to the big talkers?

david_allen_coe says:

August 11th, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Loon …. It would be a strange football team that overlooked its first game of the season. Do you have some evidence our coaches are promoting this idea?

And for sure, Loon, why in the world would anyone focus on last year when “friends” of the Gopher football program have screamed hysterically 24 hours a day for many months about losing five straight and 55-0?

Curious George says:

August 11th, 2009 at 5:23 pm

Loon – It must be difficult to be a negative person. People just don’t want to be around them. They may be right some of the time and sometime the positive people are right.

The difference is that positive people enjoy life much more than negative people because they see what is possible. Negative people just see obstacles.

The great thing is that each of us get to choose what we want to be.

southernrodent says:

August 11th, 2009 at 5:28 pm

NY, true that Syracuse is rebuilding, but that is the luck of the draw. And I submit that even a rebuildind Syracuse is a greater football test that UL-Lafayette or Arkansas State or University of Pacific
(Man, I was at that game they lost to UP!!)

That being said, it’s a fine line building confidence in a team by playing tougher opponents vs. damaging a team’s psyche by having them start out the season on a losing note.

southernrodent says:

August 11th, 2009 at 5:29 pm

Lord, where is the spell check when I need it!!

This Brewster says:

August 11th, 2009 at 5:47 pm

Loon seems to like to P&M about everything.

Show up against Big 10? Sure.

But what about your hero Glen and the butt whuppin TT provided?

Show up Loon – in the BOWL GAME.

Bayfieldgopher says:

August 11th, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Gophers to play New Hampshire in September 2012. Not hockey. These guys may be for real.

Curious George says:

August 11th, 2009 at 6:25 pm

I wonder how Mr. Positive (Loon) will spin a negative out of this game. Will it be that we are now going back to weaker opponents because Brewster’s plan is failing or will it that we are too over confident? Oh well, he will have three years to point out all the problems to us.

wren says:

August 11th, 2009 at 6:30 pm

It’s tough to win Big Ten Football Games. It was tough fifty years ago. It was tough tn years ago. It must have been ESPECIALLY tough in 2007 since we didn’t win any Big Ten football games that year.

Bayfield, I don’t think that this brewster had a clue about what kind of football he liked…or wanted to play…or wanted some coordinators to force his team to play. After one year he knew he didn’t want a “withering” defene…or, should I say he found out the “withering” defense didn’t want to “wither away” under this brewster at Minnesota. After two years, the coordinator wanted to leave again when even though he “fooled ‘em” for a while, the roof caved in in the darn dome for the final four games of the 2008 Big Ten seasons and then against Kansas.

After 2 years the only thing this brewster knew was that he was FINALLY done with DUNbar spreadsy wedsy, easty, westy spread-coast-so-calle offense.

Then, he just plain hired anyone he could find who would take the job and turned the defense and the offense over to tose people.

Let’s face it Bayfield, this brewster doesn’t really know WHAT he wants to play…he just wants to recruit and play something. There is NO input into the offense or defense from this brewster that I can see. I don’t think he is passionate about smash mouth. Why the heck would he have played dunbar ball for TWO seasons IF he was passionate about smash-mouth????? Will this fisch guy have a clue what he wants to play? What is he passionate about? IF you can figure that out, then you will know what this brewster’s favorite offense of the moment is Bayfield.

However, as I stated: it has always been tough to win Big Ten football games. But, in his third season, this brewster NEEDS to win a lot more Big Ten games than the three he has won to date in the previous two seasons. Tough or not…just get it done brewster. The clock is ticking and the
Big Ten won/loss record will tell us where the program stands in the Big Ten…where this bfewster stands as a Big Ten coach…where this administration stands re: what they want for this football program…”thin ice” does not provide much support. It is always a bad sign for the football coach/gm/recruiter when the basketball coach makes more than twice as much as the football coach. That is pretty much a dead give away about what the administrators think about the situation… ; 0 (

NY says:

August 11th, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Loon: what’s it like to be as smart as you are? Jeez, you looking down upon us for up above calling us “deep thinkers” when you are all knowing. Is it boring to know everything? Do your eyes get tired from rolling them all the time when us lowly deep thinkers write things that are less than Loonesque? I wonder why Brewster hasn’t hired you as the GopherGuru to cure our team of its ills.

In other words, your arrogance is as absurd as it is annoying.

wren says:

August 11th, 2009 at 6:48 pm

*****Correction*****
wren says:

August 11th, 2009 at 6:30 pm

It’s tough to win Big Ten Football Games. It was tough fifty years ago. It was tough ten years ago. It must have been ESPECIALLY tough in 2007 since we didn’t win any Big Ten football games that year.

Bayfield, I don’t think that this brewster had a clue about what kind of football he liked…or wanted to play…or wanted some coordinators to force his team to play when he first came here, last year or even this year. After one year he knew he didn’t want a “withering” defense…or, should I say he found out the “withering” defense didn’t even want to “wither away” under this brewster at Minnesota… North Carolina looke like a better place to wither a defense to that withers. After two years, the 2nd new or as some would say, the replacement coordinator wanted to leave again when even though he “fooled ‘em” for a while, the roof virtually caved in in the darn dome for the final four games of the 2008 Big Ten seasons and then against Kansas. Roof bagged for greener pastures and no more brewsterball.

After 2 years the only thing this brewster knew was that he was FINALLY done with DUNbar spreadsy wedsy, easty, westy spread-coast-so-called offense.

Then, he just plain hired anyone he could find who would take the job and turned the defense and the offense over to those people who just said yes to him. He fished around for so long fr this fisch it was kind of a fisy deal, if you ask me.

Let’s face it Bayfield, this brewster doesn’t really know WHAT he wants to play…he just wants to recruit and play something. There is NO input into the offense or defense from this brewster that I can see. I don’t think he is passionate about smash mouth…not even “hit ‘em hard and run the ball 60% of the time” mouth football. Why the heck would he have played dunbar ball for TWO seasons IF he was passionate about smash-mouth football????? Will this fisch guy have a clue what he wants to play? What is he passionate about? IF you can figure that out, then you will know what this brewster’s favorite offense of the moment is Bayfield.

the Loon says:

August 11th, 2009 at 6:50 pm

My football accumen is unmatched. Remember, I was the one that said Lauranaitis would never have started for the Gophers. Last we heard, he was running with the first team LB’s with the St. Louis Rams now.

the Loon says:

August 11th, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Actually, I said it was not clear he would have started for the Gophers in his first year as he would not have had an All World D line to protect him.

However, you will believe what you want. After all, it makes a far better story to lead recruits to believe that the really top recruits should go to THE Ohio State University if they want to have their talents really recognized. But, I was not smart enough to write that. I failed to see how saying that would help the Gophers.

PS Actually, the deep thinkers annoy me by turning what was an improved program without TCF into a program that is coming off a 55-0 loss at home to Iowa. Now the deep thinkers and big talkers can actually deliver on all that excellent thinking and talk of theirs.

I’ll let you know how that part is coming, like it or not.

Curious George says:

August 11th, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Loon – I misjudged you. Not only are you negative about life, you are arrogant too. Everday I wake up and say things could be worse. I could be loon.

the Loon says:

August 11th, 2009 at 9:37 pm

Name calling CG? Deep.

Curious George says:

August 11th, 2009 at 9:58 pm

Loon – It seems that you have not figured that almost everybody feels the same way about you as I do except for wren and bud. That should give you a clue that maybe there is something that you need to look at.

Derek says:

August 12th, 2009 at 11:37 am

Rescooter says:

August 11th, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Bud is now in hiding.

He has lowered himself (if that’s possible) to being a drive-by troll.
————-

100% Correct. And Budly will never admit to all his lies either. “Clients” I still laugh at that.