Onwuachi will not require surgery

Posted on August 11th, 2009 – 7:51 PM
By Kent Youngblood

That was the word from Brewster following Tuesday’s practice. Onwauchi has sprained his left knee, but will require only rehab and not surgery.

As for an expected return? Brewster wasn’t sure about that. He said the hope was to get Onwuachi back in time for the season opener in Syracuse.

That means there’s not a whole lot of experience at defensive end right now. I wrote a story on McKinley for tomorrow’s paper. He’s coming off a strong bowl game last season and has added  some significant weight to his 6-5 frame.

One other note: New Hampshire Football Report said today that UNH would be playing at Minnesota in September of 2012. Gophers athletic director said no official contract had yet been signed, but it would fill a hole in the Gophers’ 2012 slate.

That’s about it. Have a good night.

28 Responses to "Onwuachi will not require surgery"

Minneapolis Gold says:

August 11th, 2009 at 7:57 pm

good to hear regarding onwauchi. thanks!

Bayfieldgopher says:

August 11th, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Bud Grant once said: “Of all the abilities you can have, durability is No. 1, because you can never achieve greatness without durability,”

pokeintheeye says:

August 11th, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Wren and Loon, a message for you from the GH:

david_allen_coe says:

August 11th, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Bayfield … We both know what Bud Grant meant, but he could also have added you can never achieve greatness in football without luck.

You have to be lucky to never be injured in football. That is why the biggest job any coach has is to recruit depth at every position.

Talented depth wins in college football.

david_allen_coe says:

August 11th, 2009 at 10:22 pm

In 2007 Mason left 12-15 capable, ready, Big Ten players.

In 2008, with the addition of Jucos and a dozen true freshmen who played, we had 25-30 Big Ten players.

This year we have at least 40 and maybe 45 guys who are actually capable of playing in the Big Ten.

This is the journey. You need 60 players capable of going on the field and helping your team to be championship calibre.

Husker70 Is Ugly says:

August 12th, 2009 at 7:05 am

pokeintheeye says:

August 11th, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Wren and Loon, a message for you from the GH:

Was fusker70 drunk when he penned his grief stricken expose? Must have been, for anyone going through life with a face like his has an excuse to medicate daily. What a girl. What a baby. Why don’t he get in someone’s face instead of challenge them online, hard guy?

Curious George says:

August 12th, 2009 at 7:30 am

wren – when did you change your moniker to Husker70 Is Ugly?

the Loon says:

August 12th, 2009 at 8:19 am

I am not allowed to post on GH so I do not read GH. Hard to debate with someone who does not allow you to reply.

If the losses pile up this season I will stop by and let the deep thinkers know what I think. If we win a lot of Big Ten games this fall (a big change for a Maturi/Brewster team), in an honest way, I will do what I always do and rejoice in every win or even good plays or trends. Just like every year.

9-3 would be a very good year for us.

wren says:

August 12th, 2009 at 8:26 am

I haven’t read anything on gh in a long time curious george. I have made no comment about anything appearing there.

Let the people from there come over here if they want to participate in a reasonable discussion.

G1 says:

August 12th, 2009 at 8:39 am

Thanks for the update Kent. Anything else of interest come out of Day Two that we should know about?

Kent says:

August 12th, 2009 at 8:54 am

Yes, G1! Coach was so into practice he didn’t even take time to go use the restroom! When nature called, he dropped his drawers right in the middle of practice and dropped a log right on the field. When he was finished he didn’t even take the time to wipe..just put the whistle back in his mouth and took off. Some ungraduated assistant named clint ran onto the field with a pooper scooper and cleaned up. That is dedication!

Earth To Husker No Brain says:

August 12th, 2009 at 9:07 am

“This will not be a soft 9-3. There are no directional schools.”

When was SDSU deleted from the 2009 schedule?????? You are one dumb mother…

Texas Gopher says:

August 12th, 2009 at 9:51 am

Loon–based on your 819 post, you are on standby to tell us all “I told you so” but ready to jump on the bandwagon if we win. You’ve set the bar at 9-3 for it to be a “good year.” I think your true colors really came out with that post.

the Loon says:

August 12th, 2009 at 10:11 am

I did not set the bar at 9-3. I wish you would use my words, not make up words to fit YOUR agenda. I said, “9-3 would be a very good year for us.” (I have always said that sort of thing for the Gophers because we so seldom met that standard.) Notice that is NOT what you wrote re me, “you’ve set the bar at 9-3 for it to be a ‘good year’.

An adult is able to quote people correctly. That is what a university teaches.

You and your ilk wanted a “better program”. That standard is best measured by our Big Ten wins and losses. By the end of this season (his third) Coach Brewster would need to have eight Big Ten wins in order to have matched the total the previous coach had in his first three years without TCF and having taken over from the beloved but hapless Jim Wacker.

Thus, clearly and fairly, Coach Brewster will have done a worse job with more than the previous coach if he, Coach Brewster, does not win AT LEAST five Big Ten games this season.

And, I will.

Curious George says:

August 12th, 2009 at 10:35 am

the Loon says:

August 12th, 2009 at 10:11 am

An adult is able to quote people correctly. That is what a university teaches.

And, I will.
__________________

Loon – You are so transparent. Your message and intent is clear to all of us. Only you think you are clever with your words games. Since you lie so often you seem to no longer know the difference between truth and lying. Be honest once in your life and say what you mean and stop being so smug and arrogant. Your childish games are getting tiresome.

Curious George says:

August 12th, 2009 at 10:46 am

Loon – When did Tex say “anyone could do better than Mason”? I expect it is just another one of your lies. If you would let of your Mason/Brewster obsession maybe you wouldn’t feel the need to lie some much. Mason is gone and he isn’t coming back. It is time you move on. Mason has.

Curious George says:

August 12th, 2009 at 10:48 am

CORRECTION:

Loon – When did Tex say “anyone could do better than Mason”? I expect it is just another one of your lies. If you would let go of your Mason/Brewster obsession maybe you wouldn’t feel the need to lie some much. Mason is gone and he isn’t coming back. It is time you move on. Mason has.

NY says:

August 12th, 2009 at 10:52 am

So Mr. Loon: You are saying that wanting our program to improve by getting a new coach, it was our choice to hire Tim Brewster? and that is why you are holding us to a promise that not one of us made? I had no idea I held so much power at the U.

Recruiting says:

August 12th, 2009 at 10:58 am

david_allen_coe says:

August 12th, 2009 at 10:52 am

Curious …. As you have counseled in the past, no need to debate with a transparent liar and totally dishonest excuse for a human being.
============================
Oh Kent!!

I thought the namecallers were gone on the first offense, end of story????????

Kent….?????????????????? Hello??

NY says:

August 12th, 2009 at 11:01 am

Recruiting: Go sit in your corner and stay there.

Texas Gopher says:

August 12th, 2009 at 11:37 am

Loon says– YOU set the bar at “anyone could do better than Mason”, I play merely the role of holding you and your ilk to that promise.
And, I will.

OK, so why don’t you get lost now and come back at the end of the season to play your “role”.

david_allen_coe says:

August 12th, 2009 at 11:52 am

For some here, the definition of Gopher “fan” is:

“I will snipe and backstab players and coaches every step of the way until and if we win nine or more games. Then I will say ‘not too bad’ except .. except for … except .. except.”

That’s a real fan.

Curious George says:

August 12th, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Tex- – Loon is a bitter “Masonite” who holds the rest of the world responsible for Mason’s firing. It is his way of striking back at this “travesty”. He just can’t let go of his anger.

The question is how we should respond to his endless Mason/Brewster postings and lies? No matter what we say or point out to him, he is not going to change. The GopherHole solved the problem by banning him. I don’t think Kent would be up to banning him as a “disruptive” person, but we could ask.

Another option is to just ignore him. This would require more discipline than we probably have. We all feel the need to respond to his illogical and lying posts. We then get sucked into a Loon black hole. Maybe we could try a “No Responding to Loon Week” and see how that works.

Personally, I finally realized what a waste of time it was to read and respond to wren, so I just mainly ignored him. “Out of mind and out of sight” worked for me. It may also work with loon.

Bisker82 says:

August 12th, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Coach Brewster uses Recruiting as a tool!!!

Because in reference to college football, Recruiting is a tool!!!

Gregory58 says:

August 12th, 2009 at 12:57 pm

I am excited for this season, probably more so than the 03 and 04 teams which I thought had a some shot at a Big Ten championship or at least a NYD game. I’m not saying THIS team will win the Big Ten, they won’t, however there is a real chance they could do much better than many suspect. Having said that, 9 wins is a real reach, 8 or even 7 given the schdule would be good with a quaility BT win or two. I think the O will be vastly improved (ok Wren and Loon I know, not hard to do), the question is, once again as it has been for years, will the D improve enough to hold them in games?????

david_allen_coe says:

August 12th, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Gregory …. Yes, the main question for more than a decade has been the defense.

But we did improve vastly last year because of better, more athletic personnel coming in. Yes, we lost five straight to end the season. That was because we lacked depth. We were too thin to overcome injuries and being worn down.

But if you look at the first half of the season there were some great signs. With much more depth in 2009 we should be able to hold up on defense throughout the season.

recruiting is 12 says:

August 12th, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Recruiting says:

August 12th, 2009 at 10:58 am

Oh Kent!!

I thought the namecallers were gone on the first offense, end of story????????

Kent….?????????????????? Hello??

Seriously? Now you resort to being a tattle-tale? “Daddy, DAC called my boyfriend a bad name!” Whaaaaaaaaaaa!