Full pads tomorrow

Posted on August 13th, 2009 – 7:12 PM
By Kent Youngblood

Greetings, again.

I know it’s late. But practice doesn’t usually end until after 6:30. Then there are interviews to do, a story to write. It’s usually well past eight before I sit down to add to the blog.

–Tomorrow will be the first full-pads practice. Now, given the way the team practices in shells, it won’t be a huge transition to full pads. But coach Tim Brewster will make sure to get after them today. ”There will be a little added excitement tomorrow,” he said Thursday. ”We’ll have some live scrimmage stuff. We’ll end the practice with a goal line drill, which is always good for some good excitement. They’re competing like crazy. I like the tempo of our practices.”

–Running back Shady Salamon returned full-go to practice after being limited by a hamstring pull. There are only two players not practicing right now: Offensive lineman Ryan Wynn and defensive end Derrick Onwuachi.
  My esteemed co-worker, Sid Hartman, wrote today that Wynn was out for the season with a back injury. Tonight Brewster said he still felt Wynn could contribute this season. We’ll see how that plays out. As for Onwuachi, he was on crutches Tuesday, limping mightily on Wednesday. But, just three days after spraining his left knee on the opening day of workouts, Onwuachi’s limp was much reduced this afternoon.

–The Gophers appear set at starting cornerback with Traye Simmons and Marcus Sherels — who, by the way, made his first interception of camp during a goal line drill Thursday. But what about the nickel cornerback? Brewster lauded veteran Ryan Collado but also talked up true freshman Michael Carter.
  ”I’ve been very impressed with Michael Carter,” Brewster said. ”He has done an outstanding job. He’s a very mature kid for a true freshman. He comes in here with a sense of confidence about himself.

–At linebacker, the Gophers are looking for Nate Triplett to take the speed he showed as the team’s best special teams player last year to the outside linebacker position. Brewster said Keanon Cooper is fighting hard for playing time. The speedy redshirt freshman is up near 220 pounds.
That’s about it. Talk to you tomorrow

57 Responses to "Full pads tomorrow"

August 13th, 2009 at 7:34 pm

There was no question but that one of our safeties was being specifically picked on in goal line situations. That must be resolved before our third game.

August 13th, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Carry over from the previous string:

I thought the recruits have been shown TCF being built for them for over two years now. Brewster must have misinformed us (?).

Additionally, there will still be 10,000 plus Badger fans at the game this year (not to mention their band tag all over the field and stadium). A loss in that game will gut the program and the fans. No spin will avoid a disastrous opening Big Ten game at TCF unless we win.

Spare me the crud about a lot of losses will be OK. A bad win/loss season this year will leave us stuck with a bad coach who will have no leverage in recruiting as he will have no real length of contract left. Less than two years left on his contract with a much harder schedule staring him in the face for next year. And an even harder schedule in his last year.

That approach was a disaster with Mason and will have the same castrating effect on Coach Brewster. We need wins this year or we are screwed to the wall with no place to turn.

Gopher Clairvoyant says:

August 13th, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Gopher Clairvoyant says:
July 22nd, 2009 at 2:58 pm
Curious George…You mentioned you were looking for insight for who is likely to be the starting center. It will not be either of the two mentioned in your CFN listing.

david_allen_coe says:
July 22nd, 2009 at 3:08 pm
Clair … Nor will it be Dusty Springfield. There, now we all know as much as you do.

July 22nd, 2009 at 9:40 pm
Gopher Clairvoyant says:
July 22nd, 2009 at 9:11 pm
D A Coe
“we all know as much as you do “? Really ?
Then why will Wynn be sitting out this season ?
============
david_allen_coe says:
July 22nd, 2009 at 9:40 pm

He is gay and pregnant?
===========
Posted on August 13th, 2009 – 7:12 PM
By Kent Youngblood

DA Coe… Still think you ” now we all know as
much as you do” Check with the readers of this blog who they think is more informed about Gopher Football !!!

Curious George says:

August 13th, 2009 at 9:13 pm

Hey Chicken Little – The sky is Falling!

One Old Gopher says says:

August 13th, 2009 at 9:36 pm

A defensive lineman commits! Fantastic. A really huge Floridian. Papa Tim needs to land the locals and we will fill our quota of D linemen for the year. Then, we can fill in with more linebackers and running backs. I will take a two star with great upside potential.

Recruiting says:

August 14th, 2009 at 6:47 am

He has so much 2* “upside potential,” his only other offer is from Florida International. At least his HS GPA is north of 2.5 at a beefy 2.8!!!!!!!!!!!

Gregory58 says:

August 14th, 2009 at 7:13 am

Loon,
Take a break dude.

Laxgoph says:

August 14th, 2009 at 7:33 am

I don’t understand why you think it is so far fetched to think that a coach would decide to implement a particular offensive scheme as a way to lure recruits.

Bayfieldgopher says:

August 14th, 2009 at 7:33 am

Loon: We need wins this year or we are screwed to the wall with no place to turn.
*********

You mean like the tough spot Iowa and Wisky were in after three years with Alvarez and Ferentz?

How anyone who claims to be a Gopher fan and wants the coach to fail is bizarre.

Wait a minute!. Not considering the source.

G1 says:

August 14th, 2009 at 7:41 am

Kent, thanks for another great post!

Rescooter says:

August 14th, 2009 at 8:49 am

Nice post Kent and GREAT article on Small & Brown. Keep em coming! I can’t get enough Gopher football news.

August 14th, 2009 at 8:51 am

In the article on Small and Brown it is nice to note that they both seem to enjoy being students as well.

PS If the spin control freaks will stop trying to say how a lot of losses will be OK, I will not need to keep pointing out that such crud will not float. Such is reality.

NY says:

August 14th, 2009 at 9:00 am

Where are you reading that a lot of losses will be ok?

Jimbo says:

August 14th, 2009 at 9:02 am

Great article in today’s Strib, Kent. That’s exactly the kind of stuff we like to see.

wren says:

August 14th, 2009 at 9:02 am

Big Ten losses eat at the heart and soul of a Big Ten football program. If this reichrod character continues to lose Big Ten games, the faithful in Ann Arbor will revolt. IF Bo were alive today, you can bet that he would be turning the heat up on this rechrod character who made them hand their collective heads in shame in the Big House. Many more losses to OSU will insure that Michigan will be replacing a coach ever 3 or 4 seasons in the future. They recall what that was like in Columbus all too well and in C-Town they will keep the pressure on to continue to destroy the football program in Ann Arbor by BEATING the corn-blues year after year.

No matter where the Big Ten location…you have GOT to win Big Ten games or turn the head coaching position over at least twice a decade. It is fact of life time brewball apologists. Win Big Ten football games or it will be four or five seasons and done for any gm/recruiter or coach of a football team at any of the Big Ten schools.

wren says:

August 14th, 2009 at 9:16 am

Bayfield,

What difference does it make what you want or do or say? What difference does it make what I want or do or say? What difference does it make what Loon wants, does or says?

Six and sx…seven and five is NOT good enough Bayfield. I am going to be poiting out the downfalls of this brewster clown. That does NOT mean that I don’t want him to succeed. I just do NOT see him succeeding. The last five games of 2008 was the biggest disappointment I have ever had as a Gopher Fan for over fifty years. That 55-0 bashng to that ferentz character was the lowest of the low spots for me. Going 1-11 in 2007 was HORRIBLE.

You can try to paint a pretty picture of this brewball crap…but…I have got to call it the way I see it. Show me BIG TEN WINS Bayfield.

Otherwise, don’t come down on people for being realistic about what they say about what they have seen of this brewball crap.

It looks an awful lot like a coaching staff in disarray if you ask me going into this 2009 Big Ten Football Season. I WANT a LOT of Big Ten wins for this season because that would give me something positive about this brewster to “run with…” I have got to see lots of Big Ten wins. Then I would know that this brewster belongs in the Big Ten as a coach. Right now, it is questionable to me whether he even belongs in the Big Ten as a “gm/recruiter…” ; 0 (

August 14th, 2009 at 10:01 am

It works this way NYC. If one is predicting that seven wins would make you EXTREMELY happy than you are also saying that six losses would make you EXTREMELY happy.

Similarly, is one not equally saying that if seven wins would make EXTREMELY happy that six wins would make you happy or somewhat happy? That would mean you would be “happy” or “somewhat happy” or even just “content” with six or seven losses (a bowl game).

I was just saying (excuse me) that I would NOT be “happy”, “somewhat happy” or even “content” with six or seven losses. That, to me, would be a LOT of losses for the opening year of TCF.

Rescooter says:

August 14th, 2009 at 10:28 am

More love for dynamic duo. This from Sporting News – Weber/Decker are number 5 on the QB/WR terrific tandem list. They’re behind:

1) Robinson/Bryant Oklahoma State

2) McCoy/Shipley Texas

3) Reising/Meyer Kansas (we know about this combo!)

4) Hall/Pitta BYU

5. QB Adam Weber and WR Eric Decker, Minnesota
Skills: Decker has enough speed and athleticism to be twice drafted by the Minnesota Twins as an outfielder. Weber thrives on pocket poise and accuracy on short throws.

Chemistry: Both players share a home state (Minnesota), a major (business and marketing education), and a desire to leave the Gophers a bit better than they found them. “We’d love to leave with this program expecting to be in a bowl every year,” Decker said.

Game to watch: Oct. 31 vs. Michigan State. The Gophers will need a lift after back-to-back road games with Penn State and Ohio State. The Spartans will be susceptible to the pass, and a big day for Weber and Decker could revitalize Minnesota’s season.

This is good company to be compared to.

G1 says:

August 14th, 2009 at 10:34 am

Nice find Rescooter, I missed that. It’s nice to see these guys getting the recognition they deserve.

Recruiting says:

August 14th, 2009 at 10:48 am

Rescooter says:

August 14th, 2009 at 10:28 am

1) Robinson/Bryant Oklahoma State

2) McCoy/Shipley Texas

3) Reising/Meyer Kansas (we know about this combo!)

4) Hall/Pitta BYU

5. QB Adam Weber and WR Eric Decker, Minnesota
=====================
One of these 5 is not like the others…..one of these pairs just doesn’t belong!! Lets see now….which one of the 5 has won nothing???????

wren says:

August 14th, 2009 at 10:53 am

recruiting: Weber and Decker are darn good players and were Mason recruits who have been pulling their weight even though the brewball coaching staff did their best to get both of them put on the sidelines with over-use and lack of support. Weber and Decker are as good as it gets in the Big Ten. I would have loved to seen them both play in a Mason/Browning/Shaw led offensive scheme. Now THAT would have been something!

You are obviously some iowa or wisky fan recruiter. WIN BIG TEN GAMES brewster!

Rescooter says:

August 14th, 2009 at 11:08 am

My guess is over the last few years, the current coach has done his job “coaching them up”.

Props to the current University of Minnesota Coach, Tim Brewster for doing a fine job with his skill players.

This Mason character that you’re obsessed about, is he now a coach?

I wonder why?

Curious George says:

August 14th, 2009 at 11:10 am

Recruiting says:

August 14th, 2009 at 10:48 am

Rescooter says:

August 14th, 2009 at 10:28 am

1) Robinson/Bryant Oklahoma State

2) McCoy/Shipley Texas

3) Reising/Meyer Kansas (we know about this combo!)

4) Hall/Pitta BYU

5. QB Adam Weber and WR Eric Decker, Minnesota
=====================
___________________

I see that since you are longer allowed to swear on this site you are having a hard time expressing yourself. Next time you decide to type something, try thinking first. This means using some logic to back up your brilliant articulate statement.

Prime Time 28 says:

August 14th, 2009 at 11:22 am

No matter how much you want to draw a line in the sand and demand X many wins to feel comfortable about Tim Brewsters head coaching abilities(which are much better than folks now generally appreciate), its never going to be that simple. Yes, we need to win Big Ten games to be successful but never underestimate how important it is to keep the pipe flowing with bigger and better talent in recruiting. Recruiting skills should not ever be discounted; it is invaluable and can turn a program around with very mediocre coaching. The Gopher program has much more athletic and talented players since Brewster took over and yes, we will see further evidence this season. However, his accomplishments to date should be appreciated and supported with reasonable expectations. The key for us that we do not take a step backward. More difficult schedule makes a 7 win season this year much more of an accomplishment as long as we remain competitive and no Iowa nightmares occur.
Don’t get me wrong I expect better results this year and believe we have a chance to surprize and compete for the championship and/or a NYD Bowl, but any suggestion that short of that means Brewster is shown the door is ridiculous (silly).

Derek says:

August 14th, 2009 at 11:24 am

Curious George says:

August 14th, 2009 at 11:10 am

Recruiting says:

August 14th, 2009 at 10:48 am

Rescooter says:

August 14th, 2009 at 10:28 am

1) Robinson/Bryant Oklahoma State

2) McCoy/Shipley Texas

3) Reising/Meyer Kansas (we know about this combo!)

4) Hall/Pitta BYU

5. QB Adam Weber and WR Eric Decker, Minnesota
=====================
___________________

———–

Do remember you are talking to a “person” who is north of 30 and plays with his lightsaber in his parents basement. This is well documented on My Space. And of course, he is an Iowa troll.

Derek says:

August 14th, 2009 at 11:32 am

Prime Time 28 says:

August 14th, 2009 at 11:22 am

———

Great post.

Derek says:

August 14th, 2009 at 11:35 am

August 14th, 2009 at 8:51 am

————–

Spin control freaks…. If that is what you call intelligent people who call out your SPIN, so be it. As usual Loon goes right to the his name calling, frankly I’m shocked he likes Brown since his skin isn’t white.

Derek says:

August 14th, 2009 at 11:41 am

wren says:

August 14th, 2009 at 9:16 am

Bayfield,

————–

This is so hilarious after years of, “take one game at a time, Mason needs more time, there’s not enough talent in Minnesota for Mason, the high school coaches are the problem, bowl games ARE a BIG deal”, and other gems. Apparently the coaching staff never was in “disarray” when Mason had a differnet D co-ordinator every year towards the end. Poor Lockwood….

I supported Mason and I support Brewster, it’s too bad Wren can’t do both. (If you actually believe he is a Minnesota fan.)

Derek says:

August 14th, 2009 at 11:44 am

Michael Carter is a talented kid, but can he be ready for the Big Ten this year? He’s very small.

I say start with Collado and mix in Carter. By conference season we should have a good idea who will be our nickel.

August 14th, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Let us see the tune on this board in three months. Oh yes, everyone always supports the coach until the day they decide they do not want to support the coach any more.

Now show up at the games before the game starts, stay until the end, don’t boo anyone on our team, go to the bowl games and some away games and speak to the Senate three times about getting the new stadium. Sounds like an enemy to me.

The guys who have supported this program through thin and thin for decades have every right in the world to expect and demand that the U, the coaches and the other fans meet the highest standards of behavior on and off the field and that those people expect wins.

I am delighted that Mason is gone. I am very angry that he was replaced by a cheerleader AD with a cheerleader coach.

Like it or not, I darn well expect and demand the coach do a better job of winning Big Ten games than the guy you undercut for years and replaced at the costs of many millions of dollars.

Like it or NOT.

Want to go ten more rounds of how much we should learn to accept and enjoy “Throw Away Season, Part III”?

short ornery norwegian says:

August 14th, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Loon/Wren:

I feel somewhat at a disadvantage here, because I actually have a full-time job and can’t spend all day monitoring this blog, so sometimes I might not respond to you as quickly as I would like.

anyway – if you re-read my post from the previous thread, I NEVER suggested that the new stadium is not a positive for the program. I was simply trying to point out that, in order to impress recruits, you want them to experience the full game-day atmosphere – crowds, bands, tailgate parties, a packed house, etc.

And, up to this point, NO recruits have been able to experience that game-day atmosphere, because THE GOPHERS HAVE NOT PLAYED A SINGLE GAME YET IN THE NEW STADIUM!!!!

Do you honestly think that an empty, half-constructed stadium is as impressive as a full stadium on game day? I sure don’t.

Yes, the fact that the Gophers were getting a new stadium may have been a plus in recruiting, but the full value will NOT be realized until recruits can actually make a game-day visit – which they have NOT been able to do yet, because THEY HAVEN’T PLAYED A GAME IN THE NEW STADIUM YET.

Any benefit from the stadium up to this point is minimal compared to the benefit that will be realized for recruiting classes in 2010 and beyond.

My head tells me that the Gophs are likely to go 7-5 or 8-4 this year. But, if I found a magic lamp and had one wish, I would wish for the Gophs to go undefeated and win a major new year’s day bowl game. Then, I would take the news clippings from that season and rub your bleeping faces in it until you scream. Because, regardless of what you claim, I firmly believe that you want to see Brewster fail, and you would accept a bad season if it achieved your goal of seeing Brewster fired.

That is NOT what I call a fan. That is what I call a bitter, pathetic LITTLE person who isn’t happy unless they can rejoice at someone else’s failure.

August 14th, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Wow short norway guy, I did not realize that:

A) I seemed happy about the failures of Maturi and Brewster.

B) I would regret an unbeaten season with honest players.

It would seem to me that I would not go to, say the NU game, just to see us lose. That would make me angry again.

Additionally, if you think TCF will long remain a real advantage for our program over our peers in the Big Ten if we continue to lose games you have not been to other Big Ten sites. TCF is a step that will help our program if we play as a middle Big Ten team or better. It will get ugly in one year if we do not.

Count the red shirts at Badger game THIS year if you don’t believe me. If Maturi is such an idiot as to have invited their band for this game, it will look like Camp Randall North this year.

August 14th, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Derek, why wouldn’t anyone like a young man like Garrett Brown who has played well for us, kept his nose clean and done well in school?

Strange of you to bring up the race issue.

NY says:

August 14th, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Loon says:

“Strange of you to bring up the race issue.”

Good one. Thanks for the laugh.

G1 says:

August 14th, 2009 at 3:20 pm

The four-letter-network has named Decker to its Pre-season All-American Team.

August 14th, 2009 at 3:24 pm

NY, you must be one of those guys and gals who sees race as an issue when it is not, and then fails to see race as an issue when it is an issue.

I admire Brown and Small for their excellent work as shown in the article in the Strib today. What is racial about that?

Bayfieldgopher says:

August 14th, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Wren: I guess I should personally hold you accountable for any and all problems the former coach had just because you were hoping so much that he would fail during his last few years. And you were a bad one in that regard Bayfield. All of your demands and expectations…and you finally got your way after all that you said, though, and did.
*****************

My goodness but how many times must I correct you and the Canuck. I gave Mason 7 solid years to get somewhere significant and win big and often. It never happened and never would. Thanks to you and the Loon, you slowed the development of my program down bigtime by three long years by hanging on to a guy who could only accomplish mediocrity at best. Due to your low expectations, my trip to a Rose Bowl has been delayed too long.

Now you aren’t willing to give Brewster one minute! There is a huge difference. You two are so transparent and phony. Hypocrites is another good description. And you call each other loyal and dedicated Gopher fans?

August 14th, 2009 at 4:16 pm

I have given Brewster two years of my life to show me anything. 3-14 and counting.

What’s far worse is that your Plan B is to start over again at the bottom if your Plan A (“anyone would do better than TCWCNBN!”) in the very year after our new stadium opens!

Brilliant!

short ornery norwegian says:

August 14th, 2009 at 4:19 pm

Short and sweet:

Loon/Wren/Recuiting, etc — claim to be fans, but repeatedly suggest &/or hint that they expect the gophers to have a poor season.

Everyone else on this blog – claim to be fans, and repeatedly suggest that they hope and expect that the gophers will have a good season.

If you can’t see the difference, then you need a guide dog.

Oh – new issue of the Sporting news just hit my mailbox. They predict a 7-5 mark for the Gophs, including 4-4 in the B10. They also have Decker and Simmons as 1st-team All-Conf, and have the Gophs going to the Insight Bowl to face Missouri. (And they have Bucky – the team that Loon is SO afraid of, going 5-7 overall, 3-6 in the B-10.)

NY says:

August 14th, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Yeah Loon that’s right. You hit the nail on the head (cue roll eyes).

Bayfieldgopher says:

August 14th, 2009 at 4:34 pm

How ironic. The same record your guy had after two seasons. Now you want Brewster canned! And then you game Mason eight more years only to proclaim year ten a rebuilding year. Rebuilding from what? What kind of a plan is that?

My guy would have had 5 years under his belt by now or be gone and then we do it all over again until we get it right.

Curious George says:

August 14th, 2009 at 4:41 pm

August 14th, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Wow short norway guy, I did not realize that:

A) I seemed happy about the failures of Maturi and Brewster.

B) I would regret an unbeaten season with honest players.

____________________

Loon – You seem to be only person who doesn’t realize how you feel. I have noticed many of your posts contain lies but I can’t believe that you are that deluded or are you? I thinketh you protest too much.

This Brewster says:

August 14th, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Loon has given two years of his life for Brewster.

Everyone gave 10 years to Mase.

Rebuilding in year 10???

Only in Minnesota with Mase…..

August 14th, 2009 at 5:18 pm

It is going to take this program a lot longer to get to the Rose Bowl by going backwards than it would if we would have continued to go forward. With Mason we were no longer one of the bottom three and we got the hugely important TCF.

Now we are a bottom two program in the Big Ten and we risk laying a big egg in our first season at TCF with another all new coaching staff with a head coach who clearly has not known either what he is doing or what his coaches should be doing.

Thanks again guys.

Let us try this one more time. I want the Gophers to win every game they play. I have seen enough of Coach Brewster to believe he does not know what he is doing. What I think, believe, write or do not write will have no impact on how the team does on the field. Finally, I have always insisted that it will do us no good whatsoever to fire Brewster if Maturi remains. We are screwed.

I am glad that Curious George gets a pass on the new code of conduct, he is so special.

August 14th, 2009 at 5:29 pm

Time to remind Bayfield of where we are compared to where we were.

Going into season three we can see these facts (no opinions here at all).

By the end of his last season Coach Wacker had lost so many games that the deep thinkers decided that he had to go and we had to get someone who could do a better job of winning Big Ten games.

1994 1 win and 7 losses

1995 1 win and 7 losses

1996 1 win and 7 losses

He had only won one of our trophy games over that stretch.

In his first three years Coach Mason turned this bad program into the following:

1997 1 win and 7 losses

1998 2 wins and 6 losses

1999 5 wins and 3 losses

That stretch included three trophy wins.

By the end of 2006 the deep thinkers had again decided the recent results were not good enough for our program.

The three years before had been:

2004 3 wins and 5 losses

2005 4 wins and 4 losses

2006 3 wins and 5 losses

These wins had included three trophy wins and two bowl victories against Oregon and Alabama. (2003 had been 5 wins.)

Coach Brewster came in to “move the program in a new direction”.

2007 0 wins and 8 losses

2008 3 wins and 5 losses

2009 ?

Those wins include no trophy wins (0-6) or bowl wins even though the very important TCF was being built at long last.

Thus, there is a very high chance that 2009 will tell an important story.

My opinion is that Wren has it right. Either the coach wins a lot of Big Ten games this year or he will be widely and correctly viewed as a man who did less with more than his predecessor.

The ball is squarely in his court and the bell tolls for thee, Coach Brewster. We are just stuck with the results if you fail.

Go Gophers! Win lots of Big Ten games!

Curious George says:

August 14th, 2009 at 5:40 pm

Loon – The only thing you want is to see Brewster fired. That plus the attention this blog gives you from your posts. You remind of a child that keeps on asking questions so they can control the conversation. No where else other than this blog would anybody keep on responding to your nonsense.

When is this blog site going to realize that you will continue to blog you nonsense as long as we respond to it?

Curious George says:

August 14th, 2009 at 5:46 pm

CORRECTION:

When is this blog site going to realize that you are just bating us with your nonsense so we will give you the attention that you so desperately need?

August 14th, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Yes George, I seek your approval or attention and you give everyone you disagree with the same armature psychological assessment.

So, stop if you want or continue if you will. Your choice.

I will continue to post when I want and write what I want within the rules of this site as I have been given the wisdom to see them.

Your calling me a liar is allowed, for example.

Curious George says:

August 14th, 2009 at 9:41 pm

loon – You just can’t face reality can you. It is not just me who calls you a liar. It is everbody other than Larry and Curly. Try being honest for once in answering the following five questions:

1. Why were you thrown off the GopherHole?

2. Why do they continue to laugh about you at the GopherHole?

3. Why do people laugh about you at this blog?

4. Do you think you are a liar and if not why not?

5. Why do you think everybody else thinks you are a liar?

wren says:

August 14th, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Bayfield said:

………………………………

Here is the deal Bayfield: this prexy b and mauri were calling the shots during the time period in which you turned coat, started p-ing and m-ing about the former coach and worked for his removal for a 3 year period…from 2003 through the bitter end in 2006. You were relentless and really went after that former coach. The darn ancient and long of tooth prexy b and his stooge maturi were busy letting that former coache’s contract run down to nothing and then totally screwed up and EXTENDED him long-term. The next year they spent millions buying him out. And then they royally screwed up the replacement hire by inking this totally unknown and inexperienced brwster clown. Talk about administrators screwing up what has been six stinking years of football program mess-ups. You were ticked off for three years and now I have been ticked off for three years. All because those foolish administrators can NOT get the fooball coach thing done with any kind of success. Talk about massive screw ups…this prexy b and maturi are pile driving this football program right into the basement of the Big Ten.

So, you have had your three ticked-off years of running a coach who you claim couldn’t quite turn the corner. Of course he is the one who was in place when the stadium deal got done.

And now, Bayfield, I am going on my third year of being really ticked off at this brewster AND especially ticked off at this prexy b and maturi. I want their jobs! They have screwed up SO badly…they need to pay with their jobs…the prexy-ship and the ad-ship. They must NEVER hire again.

You picked from the years 2003 to 2006 to get really ugly and nasty toward the former coach. (Quite frankly, I think those years were a heck of a lot better years than 2007 and 2008 were though Bayfield…)

I have decided to go into this brewsterball era with my eyes wide open. I don’t like the way the guy coaches. I don’t like the way the guy talks. I don’t like anything about this brewster OR the way he runs a football program. I don’t like the way he looks. I don’t like the way he twitters. I don’t like the way he mindlessly brought in all kinds of coordinators. I don’t like the fact that he doesn’t have a clue about what kind of offense he is passionate about or what kind of defense his offense and his existing players can best run.

But, at least I have been giving this brewster some good, sound advice! I have told him in no uncertain terms that he HAS to win a LOT of Big Ten football games in 2009 or he will have dug himself too deep a hole to EVER survive long-term.

And, I desperately want this brewster to survive LONGER than this prexy b and maturi. Prexy b and maturi must NEVER hire for the football program again…NEVER.

But, I will comment on what I see happening on Big Ten Game Day Saturdays. I will call a spade a spade. I will NOT sugar coat it. All this brewster has to do is to win at LEAST five Big Ten Football Games in 2009 as far as I am concerned. That would put him equal with that failed, fired and bought out Mason.

I guess I think more of this brewster than you do Bayfield. Yo haven’t been kind enough to him to tell him specifically what he needs to do to be considered a “for real” Big Ten football coach.

But, you hated on the former coach for three full years. I’ve only been realistic about this brewster for going on three years now. We are almost even Bayfield. I just decided to be honest as could be at he beginning of this brewster’s gm/recruiting stint at the University of Minnesota.

Congratulations though Bayfield: you did help to “university of Minnesota” that Mason’s coaching career. Of course, he did get a LOT of money to quit coaching, do a Big Ten tv gig and some other well paying stuff after he had been “University of Minnesota football programmed by you and this prexy b and the boosters and macturi and the gh and gi crowds.

As for me, I’m realistically going ahead and giving this brewster the bums rush on starting to kick the “University of Minnesota football programming” treatmnt on this brewster at the start of his stint in Minnesota. I do want him to outlast this prexy b and maturi at the U of M though. That is why he NEEDS to win a LOT of Big Ten Football Games starting in 2009.

wren says:

August 14th, 2009 at 10:17 pm

I do believe that this curious george clown is a very simple little person. Very simple. Very little.

; 0 )

Curious George says:

August 15th, 2009 at 7:34 am

Wren – I challenge you to answer the same five questions I asked loon or are you such a complex person that can’t do that?

The reason that neither you nor loon can or will answer the questions is that you are transparent.

jolietgopher says:

August 15th, 2009 at 7:56 am

Wren and Loon: If you think that the program was better under Mason, or dont think that this program is in the right direction after ten years of MEDIOCRITY-well, I guess not everyone has the gift of analytical thought. I will be EXTREMELY happy with seven wins, I will be EXTRMELY happy with a bowl game. I will EXTREMELY happy when you two realize that you have completely unrealistic expectations. Am I a Brewster apologist… NO. But I realize that taking a team from what he had and going from 1-11 to 7-6 year over year is a nice coaching job. I realize that getting Minnesota recruits to finally stay in state and develop relationships with high school coaches to become a feeder to the prgram is a great job in a little over 3 years. If you think the people who blog here had any impact on Masons firing well, you deserve to have your unrealistic expectations not met. The fact the Mason was HATED in the state by the high school coaches, the fact he held the U hostage three times for more money, the fact that he could not turn the corner and take an average program and turn it into an above average program is why he was fired. With some of the leads Mason had in the games and then turned so conservative and lost like Northwestern, Michigan, TT.. what does it tell your kids when he wont go for a fourth down with less than a yard to go and you have Eslinger and Barber and Maroney? It tells kids that the coach does not have faith in you, and you lose the respect and faith of kids. Brewster went for it on fourth down a number of times last year, that tells kids that I have faith in you, I believe in you… That is the type of coach you want to play for. You want to play for a coach who lets you throw the ball late in the game, sure Northwestern intercepted, but at least the kids were allowed to go for it and it was settled on the field. You want to play for a coach who believes in you. Mason didnt do it, Brewster does. Brewster recognized the weaknesses of his program and made changes to address them. That is coaching, he didnt stick a defensive back coach into his D cordinator spot because no one wanted to coach with him.
That is why Mason was fired, he lost the kids, he lost the high school coaches who feed the program, he lost the adminstration by holding them hostage, and he lost the fans because he was an arogant SOB who wouldnt answer questions on his radio call in show. I dont think Maturi or anyone gives a d— about what you think or want. If you think they care what we blog here, you are sadly mistaken.

Brewster- calling him a clown, or calling him a shamster… well be prepared to be upset for quite a few more years you two. As for me, I will enjoy the ride.

wren says:

August 15th, 2009 at 9:20 am

55 to zippo does not tell me that the team was with this brewster clown for the last Big Ten game of the 2008 season. Getting outscored 123 to 27 by a terrible Michigan team, iowa and Kansas tells me that this brewster clown didn’t even bother to show up for those three games. That is a case of an inadequate gm/recruiter getting his head caved in, brains beaten in and not having a clue what the heck to do except stand there and take it. THAT was a disaster. That was a case of the brain dead gm/recruiter leading a hapless, helpless so-called coaching staff in entirely the WRONG direction. THAT really sucked jolietgopher. THAT is what this brewster has turned this program into. Those games represented “give up city” for that coaching staff.

We will count the Big Ten wins in 2009. FIVE are necessary. FIVE Big Ten games must be won by this brewster or it will be just funny as heck watching this macturi make excuses why he isn’t renewing and extending this brewster’s contract. Or, even better yet, it will be funny watching the heat this macturi takes IF he DOES extend a 6-6 or 5-7 brewster. You just can’t make this kind of stuff up brewster apologists.

Big Ten wins COUNT! Big Ten losses hurt like crazy… ; 0 (

wren says:

August 15th, 2009 at 9:23 am

And I hope that this brewster is here for at LEAST 10 years…IF macturi and the ancient, long of tooth prexy b are still hanging on. They must NEVER hire for the football program again!!!!!

: 0 )

This Brewster says:

August 15th, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Curious George –

Quit the GH crap – that place is a joke – unless you are in lock step with the “in crowd”, you are not welcome.

GH is an absolute JOKE.

wren says:

August 15th, 2009 at 2:23 pm

short, ugly/foultempered/norsky: It seems to me that I am the one saying that I expect this brewster to win AT LEAST five Big Ten games in 2009 and all of you brewster apologists choke on your spit and cry “foul” because I expect five Big Ten wins in 2009. I am the one who is expecting the team to do well in 2009 and all of you want to make excuses why they can’t be expected to win 5 Big Ten games in just that one season.

What is up with that short,ugly/foultempred norsky?????

You people just don’t expect enough. And you brewster apologists complain about me?????

; 0 )