Thoughts on the DBs

Posted on August 15th, 2009 – 1:01 PM
By Kent Youngblood

Greetings
I have a few notes from this morning’s full-pads practice. But first, somebody asked for my take on the Gophers’ defensive backs situation, specifically Kim Royston.

Fact is, I haven’t been able to see a whole lot of him this summer. The Gophers only let us watch a half-hour of practice each day. But I have talked to a few folks and the general consensus is that he has stepped in and filled the shoes of Tramaine Brock.
  Now, I know Badgers fans, including those who share their opinions with us on this blog, will say that Royston left Wisconsin because he wasn’t going to play there. I can’t speak to that.
  But the folks I’ve talked to say he’s a strong leader in the backfield and an extremely hard hitter. He put a hit on Brodrick Smith — who has since left the program — during spring practice that is still being talked about.
  So I think he’s going to get folks lined up right in the backfield and he’s going to be strong in run support. But what about pass defense? I’m told he’s fast enough, but I haven’t seen it yet, so we’ll see.

I think he’ll have to be above average in that department, because his fellow safety, Kyle Theret, is probably better supporting the run than in coverage. Theret is a very heady player who takes very good angles, which allows him to do things someone with his speed usually wouldn’t do.
  Bottom line is I think the Gophers are at the very least adequate and could be much better than that at safety. Though, to be sure, neither Royston nor Theret are very big. Theret is listed at 5-10, 186 and Royston is listed at 5-11, 182.

Backing these guys up are sophomore Tim Dandridge and true freshman Kerry Lewis. Brewster has lauded both of these guys. Particularly Lewis, who has come to camp and acted much older than his years.

Starting cornerback is a strength. Seniors Traye Simmons and Marcus Sherels, if they both stay healthy, could be one of the better CB combinations in the conference. Sherels has a year of experience to go with his natural instincts at the position. Plus, he’s healthy, his injured shoulder surgically repaired. He has the ability and the knack of playing off a receiver then breaking on a ball. I look for big plays from him. Simmons is a good bump-and-run defender.
  There is not a huge amount of game-ready depth behind these guys. Veteran Ryan Collado and true freshman Michael Carter — the highly-recruited Pompano Beach (Calif.) product — are currently the top backups. If I were to guess at this point I’d say Carter would end up as the nickelback. But, perhaps, not right away.

Carter would appear to be the heir apparent at one of the corner positions next season, when Simmons and Sherels are gone. I think the Gophers already have a couple of cornerback recruits on the docket. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the coaching staff targets a junior college player to come in and provide instant experience at the position.

Bottom line? I think, in terms of starters, the Gophers secondary should be OK. But how well the defense plays will depend on whether the front seven can consistently pressure the quarterback. But, then, that’s always the case, right?

Some other notes from practice while wishing I was in Chaska watching the PGA:

–Brewster said just about all the offense had been installed. That process should be done in the next two days. After that it will be repetition and repetition.

–The Gophers are working very hard on certain situations: short-yardage, especially near the goal line; third-down, etc.

–Gary Tinsley returned to action after missing yesterday with a sore hamstring.

92 Responses to "Thoughts on the DBs"

Gold04 says:

August 15th, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Ken,

My post on the previous thread said it all. It’s time to move on.

I disagree about the conerbacks. Collado has a lot of experience in playing conerback his first year and he played some last year. We are deep at conerback. The Gophers potentially have two all Big Ten corners and a guy who has a lot of experience, and a four star freshmen. I’d say we are pretty deep there.

Gold04 says:

August 15th, 2009 at 1:33 pm

I have a legit concern about losing Van. We need guys to step up and get to the quarterback.

Curious George says:

August 15th, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Kent – Thanks for the very informative report on the status of the Gopher’s secondary. I hope it is as accurate as you assessment of the people who blog here.

It may be hot this weekend but I am sure you will have something better to do than read the same old nonsense that is posted here daily. As soon as I finish up my financial consulting report I plan to do the same to do something better too(If I were not so undisciplined and didn’t check this blog so often I would be done by now).

Thanks and enjoyed your weekend.

Curious George says:

August 15th, 2009 at 2:06 pm

CORRECTION (When I proof read I read what I think I should have typed, not what I actually typed.) Sorry about that.
____________________

It may be hot this weekend but I am sure you will find something better to do than read the same old nonsense that is posted here daily. As soon as I finish up my financial consulting report I plan to do the something different too (If I were not so undisciplined and didn’t check this blog so often I would be done by now).

Thanks and enjoyed your weekend.

pokeintheeye says:

August 15th, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Kent, don’t worry about size too much — Tyrone Carter is currently listed at 5’9″ and 195 pounds. I doubt he was any bigger than this while he was here. :)

August 15th, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Watch the PGA? How exciting would that be?

If playing golf is as Mark Twain called it, “a beautiful walk ruined”, that what would it be like to walk with 50,000 other people saying “ouuuuh, Tiger, we love you!

Yikes.

August 15th, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Tyrone Carter was never within an inch of 5’9″ when he played here but was an excellent player nonetheless.

Curious George says:

August 15th, 2009 at 3:46 pm

I finished my financial consulting report and now I going to take a few days off from my part time consulting job and from this blog. Since loon has taken a quote from the great humorist Mark Twain and added his own interpretation I am going to leave you with a couple of quotes from two of my favorite wise people (Actually, one is an animal). They are:

1. “We have met the enemy and it is us.” – Pogo.

2. “That’s about all I have to say about that. I’m sure a number of you will file exhaustive comments on the subject, reiterating your feelings about the job Brewster is doing. I’m sure those comments will eventually move away from actual discussion of the position and move towards well-entrenched ideas about the state of the program, ultimately descending into name-calling. But what else is there to do on this hot weekend?” – Our favorite reporter

Just something to think about over the weekend.

gopher's army says:

August 15th, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Kent,
Thanks for addressing the question with depth that is not found on any internet site. Keep the posts coming and tell Brew to allow you some extra time at practice.

jolietgopher says:

August 16th, 2009 at 5:13 am

Kent,

Great post, nice analysis. Keep em coming.

August 16th, 2009 at 6:55 am

An article in the other paper this AM re TCF/alcohol/suite sales that would appear to contradict some earlier reports that everything is going OK. The U is now forecasting a shortfall in projected cash.

Of particular concern to me are the statements that quite a few suites will be available to lease for the Wisconsin game (Camp Randall North).

“And officials are squeezing some value out of the unsold suites.

Up to 10 have been sold so far on a single-game basis, Crum said, mostly for the Sept. 12 home opener against Air Force and the Oct. 3 clash with Wisconsin. ”

The most important single factor in wanting TCF was the creation of a real “home field” recruiting advantage.

People and their “need” for alcohol is such a pain.

Wisco Guy says:

August 16th, 2009 at 7:29 am

This is crazy funny:

[Only in Sunday's Star Tribune newspaper

Gophers’ Tow-Arnett returns to center stage]

The Tired Tribune puts this “teaser story” up on their website! The only way to read it is to buy a newspaper. Do they really think anyone is going to run out and buy their lame paper to read a dumb story about some goofy goopher??LLLLLLLLLLLLOL! Wow, this is desperation defined.

Wisco Guy says:

August 16th, 2009 at 7:39 am

Loon,

I thought the suites were 100% sold out this year?? If not, I will be buying one on Monday morning for October 3! Stop by for a visit. There will be a glorious red flag with a big white W on it flying from our window!

short ornery norwegian says:

August 16th, 2009 at 9:20 am

Oh, No – some Wisconsin fans may lease suites for the Gopher Game, and some of their fans may pick up tickets (from Gopher students and season-ticket holders who would rather turn a profit than support their team).

You know what – I absolutely guarantee that none of those fans will run the ball, catch a pass or make a tackle. If the gophers play well and beat Bucky on the field, all the gopher fans can have a great time harassing the Badger fans – who will be going into the DT’s by the 3rd quarter from alcohol withdrawl.

The Gophers should beat Wisconsin this year. They have better talent. And, regardless of what you think of Brewster, he’s got to be better than that piece of c*** Badger coach.

By the way – did you notice the story in Sunday’s sports section that two Badger D-backs (including Cris Carter’s brother) have been suspended indefinitely? Bulimia had no comment.

August 16th, 2009 at 9:23 am

I have been told by the deep thinkers and keen observers that Coach Brewster has substantially increased interest in Gopher football compared to what it was three years ago when U officials were telling the Senate that they would raise millions off this stadium. Thus, the article in the St. Paul paper must be in serious error.

August 16th, 2009 at 9:30 am

Two points short Norway guy:

1. A win against the Badgers this year would be a very good thing when compared to what a loss would be like. I have been saying for many months now that a loss in that game just will not float. At all.

2. The so called “suspensions” will be exactly until the Badgers need those two players, not one second longer. This has been the pattern at Wisconsin for many years now. Pure showboat suspensions to wow the morally cynical fans who fully support the DAC/Maturi school of “building a football program through plausible deniability”

Bayfieldgopher says:

August 16th, 2009 at 9:43 am

An interesting interview and a few comments.

8,000 Badger fans at TCF on 10/3? No doubt and there could likely be more. Who knows how many Badger fans are lurking in the TC area that may have purchased season tix in the past and have access to seats.

He is right about his comment Re: the UM to host activities that would have improved the game day experience at the damn dome. My concern is what plans the UM have in helping to create that at TCF and how creative will they be?

I hope the UM has incorporated the view ss of students and fans regarding game day at TCF.

These are certainly exciting days in the history of Gopher football.

August 16th, 2009 at 9:49 am

As I have suggested before, the Badger band should not be accommodated this year. It is our opening of our stadium for our Big Ten and it should be a day for the Gophers. They can visit here next time. I will be very, very, very interested in what Badger Joel Maturi does.

From my brother-in-law I know that companies like 3M have some season tickets and that employees are allowed to sign up for these tickets in advance. Badger and Iowa fans sign up for their games here well in advance.

Bayfieldgopher says:

August 16th, 2009 at 9:51 am

shorty
I think its fair to wait & see what the future outcome of Gopher/Wisky football is after both coaches have rosters complete with their own recruits. IMO, Beliema inherited a much more stable program that what Brewster did. So far its been in Beliema’s court. Maybe 10/3 will be the date when Brewsters starts to own Becky.

Wisco Guy says:

August 16th, 2009 at 9:55 am

“By the way – did you notice the story in Sunday’s sports section that two Badger D-backs (including Cris Carter’s brother) have been suspended indefinitely? Bulimia had no comment”

Yes I did. I also heard that since the “coast is clear,” your Mr Path of Least Resistance Royston, will come back to Wisconsin, since now he has a shot at the 2 deeps–maybe.

Bayfieldgopher says:

August 16th, 2009 at 10:01 am

Once again, I agree with the writer about the UM vision of game day at TCF/campus. I concur with Loon that allowing Becky’s band on the campus is an example of horrible decision-making.

August 16th, 2009 at 12:52 pm

I do not know for a fact that the Badger band is coming, I do recall that Badger Joel gave a “why not” response to this question when asked about it within the last year. I hope he had a change of heart (or got a waiver from his closet employers) and “requested” of UW to take a pass for this season only.

I know that would be against the general policy of the Big Ten, but this IS a very special situation this year for us.

Texas Gopher says:

August 16th, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Something doesn’t sit right with me denying the UW band from playing TCF. I want to beat the snot out of them as much as the next guy, but want to do it fair and square and have them wimper back to Wisconsin with no excuses.

Texas Gopher says:

August 16th, 2009 at 1:24 pm

G04 at 1:25 says–”We are deep at conerback.”

Gold—I don’t see it the same way. The DB’s are looking the thinnest (depth-wise) to me of any unit. It used to be the LB’s but I think we are a solid 2-deep there now.

Keep posting Gold—I like your optimism.

Texas Gopher says:

August 16th, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Loon—I was nodding my head in agreement with you while reading your 930 post until I got to the last sentence. I guess it would not be a loon post without a snide comment of some sort.

August 16th, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Tex, why do we not win a ton of football games in the Big Ten when compared to other programs?

To make it very short, either we have been very, very, very unlucky with our head coaches over the past forty three years or, my view, we have some number of disadvantages that are neither offset by our advantages nor offset by the “lucky year”.

Having been to so many “game days” around the country, I really have never seen our game day as being in the same league as most other BCS schools. On that scale, we are a 2 out of 10 at best. This really hurts recruiting, especially local players.

Tex, the whole point of TCF as far as I am concerned is to reestablish a true, home field, game day situation that recruits and potential fans could respect.

I’ll say it again, we must get off to a good start at TCF or we will be violating Rule #1 of getting out of a deep hole, STOP DIGGING!

Open the Big Ten at TCF with our band only.

August 16th, 2009 at 1:43 pm

The truth is cruel and snide to some. Joel knew all about Gary Russell before he renewed the Mason contract.

Bayfieldgopher says:

August 16th, 2009 at 1:49 pm

OK. Here it is right from the source.

No Becky band at TCF on 10/3. Good.

Bayfieldgopher says:

August 16th, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Just so you all know that I am not the source.

short ornery norwegian says:

August 16th, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Loon – just a thought – the US economy has been in its worst recession in decades – you may have seen something about it – it was in all the papers.

Corporate income is way down – companies are laying off thousand of employees – Gee, do you think this might have something to do with slow sales of suites at a new stadium?

I think there is more interest in Gophers football – but some of the interested parties may not be in a financial situation to make a suite purchase feasible. I would get a suite if I could afford it – but I can’t afford it. I don’t think I’m the only person in that category.

And I just don’t get this irrational fear of the Wisconsin band. I’ve been to games in Camp Randall. Bucky has an entertaining band – during the lean years before Alvarez, the band was about the only reason to go to a game there. I have no problem with both bands performing. That is what college football is supposed to be about – bands, cheerleaders, a crisp fall day.
Let both bands play – I have confidence that the Gopher Band will prove to be the superior outfit.

To the best of my knowledge, the last time a band actually played a role in the outcome of a game, it was the Cal-Stanford “kickoff return” game where the trombone player became famous for getting run over.

August 16th, 2009 at 2:42 pm

Thank you Bayfield, well done.

Bayfieldgopher says:

August 16th, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Get 19 people together @ #342.11 a pop and you have a suite for the Badger game. Plus catering and beverages. Or be the King for a Day and spring for $6,500.

Suites are still available for AFU @8,500.

Bayfieldgopher says:

August 16th, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Any time Loon. I learned to use Google search when in doubt.

Now if I could just search what our record will be this Fall? Not! I would rather enjoy each game as it comes and readily accept what the players and coaches accomplish.

Prime Time 28 says:

August 16th, 2009 at 4:14 pm

Even though I may be a little tardy on some of the issues raised Saturday afternoon here but I have a few comments and insights that some of you may find helpful. Gopher Football Alums were at the BANK during Saturday’s afternoon practice which was the first time the team worked out in the new stadium; FOLKS, get ready for one of the most outstanding gameday experiences you have had in your life. Pack that place with people and it will be very intimidating to visiting opponents. They pumped out a theme song that will get fans extremely hyped at the beginnng of drills Saturday. The players were so jacked up!!!!! All I can say is if you miss out on attending the games, you definitely will be missing something special. The Bank is an extremely well put together football entertainment facility. I do not doubt that the future plans to add another 30 thousand seats or so will be effectuated sooner than later. One more point with the stadium, I played in every stadium in the Big Ten except Happy Valley and The Bank just might have the best gameday experience potential as long as the fans bring it.

Okay, I’ll calm down. Regarding DBs, Royston should be very effective at the FS position. Trust me, Wisky would love to have him back. He actually played and contributed in their program when he was there as a Freshman and Sophmore. He would be likely starting for them had he stayed. The secondary, as opined by some, has better than average depth and just may be quite good. Carter, like his DB classmates, is extremely talented and he will unquestionably play a lot this year. He may be THE Nichol DB early but I am certain he will at least hold that position before the season is over. The starters at corner are outstanding and Calodo has game experience. Thus the two deeps at corner are in good shape. Theret, Rallis and Watkins stack up at SS and Royston, Dandrige and Lewis man the FS spot. The young guys are very talented and may push players ahead of them as they gain experience and better learn the system. Baring major injuries, the secondary may shine this year. Brewster and his staff just need to keep bringing in athletic players, play-makers and the GOPHERS will compete and win against nationally ranked teams. People should be very excited about this program and where it is headed.

Texas Gopher says:

August 16th, 2009 at 4:45 pm

PT28—I had the same feeling when I walked out of there—there should be nothing but maroon and gold in there and it will be a very imposing stadium for the visiting team. I hope your read is correct on the DB’s. Until I see them on the field, I don’t factor them in to the equation(especially the Fr.). Bottomline—I am as pumped as you for football on campus to return!

August 16th, 2009 at 6:22 pm

Primetime: sounds good. Now just show me with Big Ten wins…LOTS of Big Ten wins. That’s what I want! I’m tired of talk…talk…talk.

No need to pump. No need to hype. Just DO IT on the field. Win Big Ten Football Games. Don’t just talk about the “future.” The “FUTURE” is NOW!

Texas Gopher says:

August 16th, 2009 at 8:02 pm

Wren—I think we are all tired of the talk and ready for some football. As anxious as I am for opening kickoff, I am glad the guys still have a couple weeks of practice to get that new offensive playbook down.

Prime Time 28 says:

August 16th, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Wren, I agree with you on your statement: The FUTURE is NOW! Compete, dominate and win! Pound The Rock!
It is ok to be skeptical and demanding as you are for true success i.e. BT wins. I am there with you. Now, Lets Ride!

Curious George says:

August 16th, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Bayfieldgopher says:

August 16th, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Any time Loon. I learned to use Google search when in doubt.

____________________

I planned to stay away from this site for a few days but thought I check tonight and see if there was anything interesting. Your quote “I would rather enjoy each game as it comes and readily accept what the players and coaches accomplish.” really put things into the proper perspective. Life almost never plays out the way we think it is going to but if we allow it, it can be a wonderful adventure. Let’s just enjoy the 2009 season accomplishments as they unfold.

I think Kent might have been trying to tell us that, or at least to lighten up.

August 16th, 2009 at 9:50 pm

I was in The HORSESHOE…OHIO STADIUM in 2000 when the Gophers JUST DID IT…to the Ohio State Buckeyes in C-BUS. Now THAT was some kind of “game day enviornment…” Almost 105,000 fans…over 102,000 of them Buckeye fans and they did not easily let their Buckeyes go down to our Gophers…but DOWN they went! I have never seen a Game Day Environment like that. The “mad-dogs of mad-town…” have nothing that compares with what those Buckeye at Faithful bring with them when they come to the HORSESHOE. The “swine-herdeers” in iowa can’t compare to that C-BUS game day thing.

Win Big Ten Football Games and WATCH what can happen! The ONLY reason the Big Ten games are played is to see who can with the MOST Big Ten games. The ultimate measure of the ability of a coach/gm/recruiter is shown in the number of Big Ten WINS vs. Big Ten LOSSES that coach/gm/recruiter achieves.

August 16th, 2009 at 10:03 pm

*****CORRECTION*****I was in The HORSESHOE…OHIO STADIUM in 2000 when the Gophers JUST DID IT…to the Ohio State Buckeyes in C-BUS. Now THAT was some kind of “game day enviornment…” Almost 105,000 fans…over 102,000 of them Buckeye fans and they did not easily let their Buckeyes go down to our Gophers…but DOWN they went! I have never seen a Game Day Environment like that. The “mad-dogs of mad-town…” have nothing that compares with what those Buckeye Faithful bring with them when they come to their HORSESHOE. The “swine-herdeers” in iowa-city-town can’t compare or compete with that C-BUS game day thing.

Win Big Ten Football Games and WATCH what can happen! The ONLY reason the Big Ten games are played is to see who can win the MOST Big Ten games. The ultimate measure of the ability of a coach/gm/recruiter is shown in the number of Big Ten WINS vs. Big Ten LOSSES that coach/gm/recruiter achieves. Big Ten wins are NOT easy to come by. They are the ultimate treasue that all Big Ten Football Teams seek.

Let the Big Ten games begin! Let the score keepers keep the scores. Let the record keepers keep the records. From September through November the ONLY game in town that matters will be the Big Ten Games! People: do NOT shy away from DEMANDING Big Ten wins in 2009. Our TCF BANK STADIUM must house MANY Big Ten wins early and often in it’s existence. THAT is why the stadium was built. We can NOT spend 300 million on a new home for Gopher Football and merely “hope” that one of these seasons we wll have recruited enough four star fantasy recruits to win some Big Ten Football Games. Win Big Ten Football Games NOW! 2009 is HERE. TCF BANK STADIUM is HERE. Win a LOT of Big Ten Football Games NOW!!!!!

Prime Time 28 says:

August 17th, 2009 at 6:47 am

There is nothing wrong with high expectations. Every team in the country,well at least most of them, are working their tales off with the hopes and desires to win big every week this fall. Our team is making great strides and we need to support them every week no matter what the outcome. As long as we are competing well every week, we will win some and lose some. Hopefully, we get to a Bowl, but during the ride, at THE BANK, we are going to have a great time. Lets secure THE BANK!

Curious George says:

August 17th, 2009 at 7:38 am

Prime Time 28 – Well said.

Bayfieldgopher says:

August 17th, 2009 at 7:50 am

I have to remind myself that we are entering a very significant time in the history of Gopher football. Playing the games back on campus and the opening of TCF is a huge happening. Its not just an event. Its a day that will be remembered as the beginning of a new era of Gopher football.

I am very lucky to be one of those who can say I was at that game on September 12, 2009. And having my son with me will make it even more special.

August 17th, 2009 at 8:07 am

This gm/recruiter has GOT to bring home the Big Ten wins in 2009. It’s his 3rd year. It is TIME to produce big numbers of Big Ten wins. None of this “moral victory” nonsense. This coach will either win large numbers of Big Ten games or he will not. It IS important. Every single one of those Big Ten games matters a huge amount. It is SHOW TIME for this brewstr. Is he ALL show and no go? Or, will he COACH this team to a LOT of Big Ten wins in 2009. The Big Ten record will tell the tale in 2009…the “year of the return to campus…” There is no backing down now. Be READY brewster! Get it done!!!!! NOW.

Bayfieldgopher says:

August 17th, 2009 at 8:57 am

The Tale of the Year of 2009 will be know as the year football returned back to campus and the opening of TCF. Not Brewsters record.

We will start by playing Syracuse. One game at a time. The Big Ten will follow three games later. The first three NC games will be very important for the team and staff as they prepare for the long season ahead.

Texas Gopher says:

August 17th, 2009 at 9:08 am

Wren says–This gm/recruiter has GOT to bring home the Big Ten wins in 2009

I wonder how many times wren has said that or a close variation of it??

I would put the over/under on the calender 2009 total to be at 1,500.

Curious George says:

August 17th, 2009 at 9:11 am

Bayfield – The home page on this web site has in the upper left corner various pictures that rotate their appearance. One of the pictures has the caption “Bayfield: More than just a pretty face.” I would have to agree with that, given the way you have been setting the table for the upcoming season. Nice job.

August 17th, 2009 at 9:28 am

Sorry Tex, every day several of you guys try to turn the board towards your thesis that it will be OK not to win Big Ten games this season just like we have done over the past two season. That “Throw Away Season, Part III” will be OK because, after all, you could not have been so wrong about what would happen once you got rid of the previous coach.

3-13 over two years having taken over a program that was 7-9 the two previous years is not what was promised except that it has been a big “change of direction”. Time to put up or take a hike for Maturi/Brewster cheerleader football.

I too will not be sold another load of BS about “understandable” butt kickings of our beloved Gophers.

Rescooter says:

August 17th, 2009 at 9:40 am

Goon flatulates:

……“Throw Away Season, Part III”….

——————
So your definition of a “Throw Away Season” is 7-5 or worse? Going with your thinking then, Glen Mason had “Throw Away Seasons” for 7 of his 10 years at Minnesota.

I don’t want to confuse the issue with facts, but these are hard to ignore. That is unless you have a separate agenda??

Recruiting says:

August 17th, 2009 at 9:58 am

Rescooter says:

August 17th, 2009 at 9:40 am

Goon flatulates:

……“Throw Away Season, Part III”….

——————

===========================
Gaaawwd are you brilliant! There is a different standard for someone taking over a perrenial bowl team, who comes in screaming,”Rose Bowl..Big 10 champs,” and someone who takes over a perennial single conference win per year team.

19 days until punky meets his Syracuse!

Laxgoph says:

August 17th, 2009 at 10:00 am

Did any one get the email regarding parking at TCF for the Aug 22 practice? The message says “Season ticket holders who have purchased season parking permits will be able to park in their selected lots for the Gopher Game Day Preview. To park in your designated parking area you will need to present your Gopher Game Day Preview parking pass and pay a $10 (cash only) fee.” What a load of crap, do you really need to grab that extra 10 bucks from my pocket after the thousands I have spent on season tickets…not to mention that I already paid for a season parking pass? I know its only $10 but the people running the show just don’t get it, all they did was give people a reason to stay home. By the way I also got an email saying that they are cancelling all of the activities (food, drinks, interactive games) on McNamara Plaza that day too. Nice way to drum up support. The U is basically going to get thousands in free advertising (local news, B10 network coverage)and they still need to pick my pocket. Poor judgement in my opinion.

Recruiting says:

August 17th, 2009 at 10:17 am

BleedGopher
Senior Member Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,304

Brewster sleeping in his office until week of Aug 30 to maximize time

—————————————-

per this tid-bit from David Shama:

To maximize time, Gophers football coach Tim Brewster is sleeping in his office during training camp. He will stay with that routine until the week of August 30 leading up to the opening game at Syracuse on September 5.

Go Gophers!!
—————————————

#2 Today, 10:29 AM
ruppertflywheel
Senior Member Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,647
—————————————-

I woder if Mase ever slept in his office?
======================================
======================================
Someone needs to tell these Mason mobbers & bashers that Glen didn’t need to sleep in his office to go 3-14 vs. BCS teams, lose to NDSU and get destroyed by the Iowavicts 55-0!

August 17th, 2009 at 10:30 am

‘couter, Brew is lifetime 3-13 in the Big Ten over his career with us. Anything like that this year will be bad, very bad.

All he and his mentor need to do this year is win some Big Ten football games in their third year.

Tic toc, tic toc. Nothing to fear but losing lots of Big Ten football games.

Tic toc.

anti hole says:

August 17th, 2009 at 10:54 am

“Nothing to fear but losing lots of Big Ten football games”

Just like the previous coach.

Tic Tok

Curious George says:

August 17th, 2009 at 10:57 am

As our wise gopher football reporter predicted “I’m sure a number of you will file exhaustive comments on the subject, reiterating your feelings about the job Brewster is doing. I’m sure those comments will eventually move away from actual discussion of the position and move towards well-entrenched ideas about the state of the program, ultimately descending into name-calling.” is now happening.

It is not an accident that this happens over and over. The only way to break this “Groundhog Day” cycle is to totally ignore those who want the discussion to be focused on the same old same old. The good news is that nobody is responding. Keep up the good work.

Recruiting says:

August 17th, 2009 at 11:03 am

Curious George says:

August 17th, 2009 at 10:57 am

======================
You just responded, Rocky……..

anti hole says:

August 17th, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Hey Loon,

What was promised to you when Glen took over. Be specific.

Rescooter says:

August 17th, 2009 at 12:41 pm

a-hole (a/k/a wren/loon) – It’s really pathetic when try to converse with yourself (especially the baiting part). You have sunk to a new low – if that’s possible.

anti hole says:

August 17th, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Scooter – you are lost.

I am not wren nor loon.

Rescooter says:

August 17th, 2009 at 1:31 pm

anti hole says:

August 17th, 2009 at 1:13 pm

….I am not wren nor loon.
———————-

Whether you are or aren’t, I still have the same opinion of you.

Either talk football or move along.

Troll.

Recruiting says:

August 17th, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Brewster still doesn’t get it, does he?

Curious George says:

August 17th, 2009 at 3:24 pm

This can’t be good for morale or recruiting.
____________________

Wisconsin safeties plan to fight suspensions

August 17, 2009 8:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com’s Adam Rittenberg

You don’t see this very often, but Wisconsin senior safeties Shane Carter and Aubrey Pleasant plan to fight the suspensions handed down Saturday by head coach Bret Bielema.

Relatives of both Carter and Pleasant told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that they’re asking the university for a hearing to contest the suspensions, which will last at least through the end of preseason camp.

Here’s what Pleasant’s father Garner had to say about the situation:

“I hate to say this, but you just can’t treat people any old way. I think that is what he [Bielema] is used to doing. Maybe this is how they do things at Iowa. And I hate to say that … but I hope the guy comes to his senses. Lawyers have been contacted, and we just want the kids’ names cleared.”

Wow. This isn’t the type of situation you want right now, especially for a Wisconsin team that supposedly improved its chemistry problems from 2008.

The reasons behind the suspensions remain unclear — Bielema didn’t provide specifics Saturday — but it doesn’t appear as if Carter and Pleasant violated Wisconsin’s student-athlete discipline policy.

Pleasant’s father and Carter’s brother both said the players want to remain with Wisconsin for the season.

August 17th, 2009 at 3:42 pm

anti hole,

When Glen Mason took over we were promised that the quality of the football program would improve. As I have posted many times, and will again from time to time, we went from winning 3 Big Ten games in the previous 3 seasons to winning 8 games in the next 3 seasons.

Even more worrisome to me in our present mess was that right from day one with Mason you got the impression the team was more structured and ran a style of football that was more encouraging. By the second year we were losing some close games to some good teams. In the third year we were 5-3 in the Big Ten and no one was really surprised who had seen the team play the year before.

I thought by the end of last season our program was hapless. The three best players on the NU team were injured when they came here and beat us with ease. Michigan and Iowa were just much more of the same.

Nothing last year caused me to believe that our coach was average. With Mason we had “something”. Now we are hoping and counting on hype.

There are those that want to believe that 55-0 to Iowa, at home, in the last game of the year was a good sign that the team will be much improved this year. That seems odd to me.

My guess based on what I have seen is that we will need to win a lot of Big Ten games in order to make a believer out of me. Might happen. Sure hope it does. But, that would require a lot of pieces I have never seen play college football, falling into place.

Recruiting says:

August 17th, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Curious George says:

August 17th, 2009 at 3:24 pm

This can’t be good for morale or recruiting.
==========================
Neither can this:

Prime Time 28 says:

August 17th, 2009 at 4:51 pm

It is definitely unfortunate that a 2011 recruit has gotten into some apparent trouble. Key word is apparent. We really do not know what may come of what appears to be a misdemeanor charge brought against him. I frankly think it is unfortunate that the story was run in the first place. This kid will have to deal with this story no matter how the charges turn out. However, I see no relationship with this story to that coming out of the Wisky program. Those players participated in spring ball with their teammates and undoubtedly have friends that support them right smack in the middle of Fall camp. The dispute appears to be directly with the Head Coach. That is cancer and they better deal with it fast. To the contrary, Gopher moral is SOLID and camp has been reported as competitive. Coach Brewster has his team quite focused it appears. I just do not think some story about a 2011 commit even comes close to effecting the moral of a team in camp. And oddly, the story may help recruiting.

This Brewster says:

August 17th, 2009 at 6:40 pm

As you know Loon, Brew talked about a lot of things – better recruiting, Rose Bowls and the like. He talked too much for me, too, and should have shut his mouth and performed. And then talked very little. Humility is a rare quality these days.

I think Mason was an average coach, at best. Overall. Tough to argue that point Loon. He just could not get over the hump and win big games.

Yes, he had wins in bowl games over some solid programs. And he was given credit for those wins.

He also pissed himself when great opportunities came knockin. Michigan comes to mind. TT as abysmal.

For all the great running offenses Glen had, how come he could not throw the ball with any consistency? That inconsistency cost him games.

Recruiting, coaching – I dont care what it was – a one dimensional offense and annual defenses that were not good were his recipe for trying to be successful at MN.

He didnt get it done. Year 10 and rebuilding in the same sentence? You cant be serious. Can you?

You were the big advocate of one game at a time, once upon a time.

Buck up and support the coach. Stop your beeotching and moaning and support the coach and the team. That is what I did a number of years ago, no matter Mason was the coach.

One Old Lobster Says says:

August 17th, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Wren’s a hack.

Loon’s a wreck.

9-4 this year. Better backs. Better team depth. Better coaches. I’ll predict brtter atmosphere and game day.

Pound the rock. lol

One Old Lobster Says says:

August 17th, 2009 at 7:32 pm

9-4 with bowl win.

August 17th, 2009 at 8:37 pm

So, you are saying 9-4. I’d love to see it. That would mean this brewster would win the FIVE Big Ten games that I say he HAS to win to be considered to have had an acceptable season.

We will remember what you said, you and I one old lobster aka kelly leeks…

You guarantee that do you????? Better bring those wins when you come…because…less than five Big Ten wins in 2009 will NOT be acceptable.

; 0 )

August 17th, 2009 at 9:03 pm

I saw huge wins at Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State. I have seen no medium wins from Brewster. That to me is not progress.

As to rebuilding for ten years. We have been rebuilding for 42 years now. Anyone who thinks we “should” we big here is either very young or so ignorant of the realities of college football today as to make wonder. Brew was your bright idea and it stinks.

August 18th, 2009 at 12:29 am

Note to this brewster who posted at 6:40….That was one foolish post you just made…

3-13 in Big Ten play and 8-17 overall is nothing to brag about…in fact that is something to hang your head in shame about looking at the schedule during the past two seasons.

Like I said: that 6:40 post was one foolish post for you to have made…

; 0 )

jolietgopher says:

August 18th, 2009 at 5:16 am

Wren and Loon: How did you come up with five big ten wins or more as the only acceptable outcome of this year? Because Mason won five in his third year? I guess if you go by that logic than Mason was a better coach than Alvarez who went 6-5 in his third year and was just as good of a coach as Kirk Ferentz who went 7-5 and if you are honest with yourself, you know that isnt true. Picking a number out of thin air and then defending it because Mason was able to win that many does not make your point any more defensible. It just makes you lucky you picked a number that coincided with the number of wins Mason had in his third year. No one on this blog wants the gophers to lose ANY games EVER. But to sit an argue that Brewster has to win 5 games or else he is a joke… well Alvarez and Ferentz arent jokes, they are well respected and admired football coaches who dont have to sit and listen to two people drone on and on about how many big ten games they won in their third year. If you arugue that by winning five games didnt make Mason a better coach than Alvarez and Ferentz over all, but a better coach in the third year… well then I will take the slow and steady course to big ten titles and news years days bowls with a coach who improves year over year rather than stagnate and go to mid tier bowls. Either way we all want the gophers to win, we all want a big ten title, we all want the kids to become successful.

August 18th, 2009 at 7:11 am

Did you buy out Mason for many millions so we could have a worse program under anyone else?

This is all very simple either the program is better because it wins more Big Ten games or it is worse because it does not. YOU said you wanted better.

In any case people will not long endure the bad losses of last year in our new stadium. I’m a show me kind of guy and I can not imagine the fans being amused with a loss at NU, a lose to the Badgers to open the BT at TCF, etc., etc.

Gregory58 says:

August 18th, 2009 at 8:05 am

Loon, you saw huge wins? You saw one each at OS and M in 10 years you moron. Were you there for all the bad losses too? Brewster has only been here 2 years, GOD you are stupid.

anti hole says:

August 18th, 2009 at 10:40 am

Wren/Loon – how come you wont answer the other questions in the post? About the one dimensional offense and absent defense?

We did see some wins with Glen – very limited amount in 10 years. He also lost to some teams he shouldnt have. You are leaving out 1/2 of the story.

August 18th, 2009 at 10:41 am

55 to zippo…that’s this brewter for you… ; 0 )

August 18th, 2009 at 10:52 am

For crying out loud anti hole: how about that nice little run for this brewster at the end of the 2008 season in which he was outscored 123 to 27?????

We have had football that has basically sucked since the “modern era” of football started. Mason was the best since the end of the 1960′s and a brief period in the 1970′s when Cal Stoll was here, before he was fired. During that time our administration abandoned MEMORIAL STADIUM and we suffered through all the WILDERNESS YEARS.

What Mason did, was the BEST in a LONG TIME. What this brewster did in 2007 was a disgrace. What he did during the final five games of the 2008 season was even WORSE.

I recall atching Ron Johnson ripping them up. I recall an incredibly dramatic win against iowa that was spearheaded by the passing attack. I recall watching the Gophers SMOKE NU in Evanston with a LOT of long TD passes. did the pass dominate????? The pass should NEVER dominate! That’s what I think about football

This brewster has shown me NOTHING anti hole. I keep hoping that 2009 will be the year. But he has to win at least 5 Big Ten football games to turn my head. I do NOT like what I have seen of this brewster so far. It is time for him to win Big Ten Football Games in significant numbers in my book. I am a nothing and a nobody, but I KNOW what I have seen the past two seasons.

Weber has been worth the price of admission due to his heart and his willingness to take a pounding. The same with Decker.

This brewster has shown me NOTHING…

anti hole says:

August 18th, 2009 at 11:27 am

What about the defense of Glens team Wren?

Please dont refer to one or two years – talk in terms of his 10 years.

It was pathetic.

Defense should dominate – that is what I think about football.

anti hole says:

August 18th, 2009 at 11:31 am

Glen didnt show me anything Wren.

But I bought season tickets with him as the coach. And went to nearly every game.

And supported the coach and the team. I supported the coach, when he was the coach, even though I did not care for his coaching.

August 18th, 2009 at 1:36 pm

The Mason years did a lot of good and got the stadium built anti-hole. I smartened up though when I saw all those people who said they supported the coach turn on him. So, I decided that since this idiotic prexy b and macturi were the ones who first extended then fired and bought out Mason for millions and millions of dollars that those administrative idiots didn’t have a CLUE what they were doing. They are paying more than TWICE as much fo a hoops coach as a football coach. What have we gotten there? A fine man with experience…but…after two years we have a 6th place finish and last year a tie for 7th & 8th place in the Big Ten. Heck, some years even having to suffer the consequences of the haskins sins and scandal, the former hoops coach playing with loss of scholarship and sanctions did as well as that or better. This ancient prexy b needs to get the heck out of dodge and drag that macturi with him. They are clueless. I think that most likely the high priced hoops coach will work out better than the totally inexperienced football gm/recruiter.

I do NOT suport anything that this prexy b and macturi do. They need to be gone from the University of Minnesota before they EVER hire again. As I stated: things look somewhat better for the hoops program…but…they spent twice as much money buying experience and name-brand recognition with Tubby Smith. With this brewster, they paid for nothing of note and they got nothing of note.

This brwster’s defenses have sucked and you know it. I’m disgusted with every level of football because every rule change that has happened in football in the past fifty years has basically benefited the offense and has hindered the defense.

A program like most Big Ten programs are not going to put together both an offense and a defense. Look at how soft and ineffective even programs such as OSU, Oklahoma, Texas and most other programs are on defense when they play an equal or better team. Look at what TT did to Texas. In 2004 when the Gophers plyed Michigan to a 27-24 ball game…a bit latter in the Rosebowl Texas came from behind with time running out and Young scored to beat Michigna by something like a 37 to 35 score (I didn’t look it up…but it was very high scoring.) I guess the Gophers had a better defense than Texas did that year…

This brewster will show me something ONLY if he wins at LEAST 5 Big Ten games in 2009. Sorry anti-hole, I’ve had enough of the b.s. and all this “loyalty crap…” I’ve been buying tickets to Gopher Games a LONG time…I’ve been as loyal a fan as you would ever know for half a century. But, enough is enough. To heck with the administration at the U of M. prexy b and macturi can go jump in a lake. I’ve been take advantage of by the U of M too long to silently put up with a pretender…a hypster…classless rookie coach who has to hire some coordinator to tell him what kind of offense to run…than put up with that guys crap for two years…ditch him…bring in another coordinator who talks a completely different ball game all the while he has managed a 3-13 Big Ten record in his two years there. Sorry anti-hole…I’ve been buying tickets a lot longer than a lot of people. But I will not pretend that what I have seen from this brewster is good…or average…or in any way, shape or form acceptable.

I have to see BIG TEN WINS. If this brewster wins five Big Ten games in 2009, I will give hi credit for it, because I don’t think he has it in him. If he gets less than 5 Big Ten wins in 2009, I will blast him for it. He HAS to be as good as that fariled, fired, bought out and horrible Mason…or he certainly doesn’t belong in the job he currently has. I will cut him NO slack. It is up to him to show me he can do it. I haven’t seen any signs that he can do even as well as Mason yet.

I detest the fact that we haven’t won the Big Ten Championship in SO long. I fault the administrations and I especially fault this prexy b and macturi for screwing up their entire time they have been in charge of the football program. They have FAILED. Getting a stadium was nothing…they just needed Mason to have a couple of 5 Big Ten win seasons; and then play the “prexy always gets what the prexy wants…rule at the University of Minnesota. ANY prexy at ANY time could have made it a priority and done it. This prexy b gets NO thanks from me. He has screwed the football program up so badly with the assistance of “badger joel…”

I tell it like I see it now anti-hole. IF it is good…I will say it was good…if it stinks I will say that it stinks. The past stunk…2009 is one heck of a big…high-pressure year for this brewster character. I want at LEAST 5 Big Ten wins in 2009.

I played their game long enough. No more. You won’t be rewarded for being “easy” on them. No one will. You either win or you lose. I will tell it the way I see it.

In the end…what else do you have? The truth will set you free. The trth will maybe help get the Gopher Football Program the leadership it needs…both administratively and coaching wise.

Five Big Ten wins or bust in 2009!

anti hole says:

August 18th, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Wren,

“He HAS to be as good as that fariled, fired, bought out and horrible Mason…or he certainly doesn’t belong in the job he currently has. I will cut him NO slack. It is up to him to show me he can do it. I haven’t seen any signs that he can do even as well as Mason yet.

The only way to judge this is if Brewster is here for 10 seasons and compare at that time.

August 18th, 2009 at 3:17 pm

If this brewster doesn’t win a LOT of Big Ten football games he will not be here 10 years. The world might end tomorrow. We only have what we have to judge this brewster. That is 3-13 in Big Ten games. 8-17 overall. He went 1-11 in 2007 and 0-8 in the big Ten. In 2008 he was 7-6, but he lost his final five games of the season…some of them by horribly lopsided scores. during the final few games of the season he was outscored 123 to 27. He ditched his offensive coordinator at the end of the season and his defensive coordinator ditched him.

Without a LOT of Big Ten wins…he will NEVER last 10 seasons. I am trying to give him a chance. That is why I say he must win 5 Big Ten games in 2009. At least that way he would be equal with the failed, fired and bought out Mason at the same stage. That is as close as we will ever get to comparing those two… ; 0 )

jolietgopher says:

August 18th, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Wren: Brewster has done no good? He won 7 games last year, 3 B10 games… what did Mason do in his second year? He went 5-6 and 2 and 6 in the big ten. His first two years at Minnesota Mason went 8-15 and 3-13 in the B10. So what has Brewster done? He has gone 8-17 and 3-13 in the B10 and went to a bowl game. Argue however you want to about the state of the programs when each coach took over the program… but Brewster had NO DEFENSE and a freshman QB and running back and very few returning players. They are comparable. So the comparison here is very similar between the coaches. So for the last time shut up about Mason and five wins… you have NO IDEA what you are talking about. Mason DID NOT raise the expectataion of the program. Mason DID NOT win in his first two seasons. Mason DID NOT ever have a top 20 recruiting class. But if you want to keep singing the glory of a coach who held the administration hostage for more money, brought in teams to play that are mid level and sub mid level at best… go ahead ..but people see you for who you really are.. a frustrated fan who just wants to see the gophers win. But I hate to tell you, we all are… but see Brewster for who he is… a hell of a recruiter and a guy who can go from 1 win to 7 wins year over year. A guy who can analyze his coaching staff and see what is working and not working and make changes. Mason was not the second coming of Bernie Bierman, he was not the second coming of anyone but himself, a greedy coach out to make as much for himself as he possibly could. Did he care for his players, I sure hope so, but when another school who was looking for a guy who could produce decent results came looking… all he saw was dollar signs. Can I blame him.. NO.. but dont act like he was a benchmark for all future coaches at Minnesota… Hell if we have sunk that low I dont think I want to spend my saturday afternoons watching.

Minnesota gave Mason time and eventually he hung himself. The admin saw through the trees and saw the forest of midlevel non conference games and midtier bowls. They saw a guy who could not produce top 20 recruiting classes or end of year rankings… but sure wanted to be paid like he could.

Do you think the bank will continue to sell out playing ND State and La Laffayette. Even when Brewster is winning 6 B10 games every year, those games would not sell out, But USC and Texas will. Mason thought he could model a program that way and keep his job… I guess Maturi had the last laugh. We may have paid to get rid of him.. BUT WE GOT RID OF HIM.. I guess if anything that should make you feel better. If after 10 further years of mediocrity, we will get rid of Brewster.

This Brewster says:

August 18th, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Wren, Mase did not have a lot of big 10 wins and he was around for 10 years.

I hope that Brew is not around for 10 years, if he cant do better than Mase.

August 18th, 2009 at 7:17 pm

If this brewster doesn’t win 5 Big Ten games in 2009, Mason will have left this brewster in the dust. Minnesota had gone 3-21 in the Big Ten the three years before Mason came in. Mason had NO promise of any stadium other than the dome. It had been a decade since the Gophers had even been in a bowl game. Tonya Moten Brown took over the athletic department. The haskin’s scandal was rocking the college sports news scene and the University of Minnesota was put in a mighty terrible position. I was at the Sun Bowl game when the Oregon students leveled their sights at the University of Minnesota academic scene and what haskin’s had done. At the end of his third season Mason was 8-16 in Big Ten play. That REALLY sucked. Mason really sucked. But, he didn’t suck as badly as this brewster sucks.

This brewster brought that idiotic dunbar to town. He stuck with him for two stinking years. by the last 5 games of the 2008 season…with Decker and Weber beaten to a pulp, this brewster had NO…none…zero…zip offense. He also had NO defense. He SHOULD have won at least five games in 2007…he won 1 stinking game. This ferentz character bashed this brewster so badly in the second to last game of the 2008 season. being outscored 123 to 27 really sucks BIG TIME.

Watch what happens to the fan base if texas and usc pile drive this brewster character and then he has to take on OSU, MICHIGAN and PSU later in the season. (That is IF this brewster is still around when and IF those games EVER really come off…) Brewster recruits well????? I haven’t seen much proof of that. It seems as though the old Mason recruits are the ones doing the most.

And Mason sucked big time!

From what I have seen, this brewster sucks just as much as Mason ever did. And, if this brewster character doesn’t win at least 5 Big Ten football games in 2009…he will suck even MORE than Mason did. But, prexy b and macturi FORCED Mason to take a heck of a lot of money to retire…Mason didn’t do that to them…they did it to themselves when they extended him in order to get the stadium. You have ONLY this prexy b and macturi to blame for the BIG $$$$$ Mason buy out and then the horrible brewster hire.

Do you beleive it…they are paying the hoops coach more than TWICE as much as the football coach!!!!! This prexy b and macturi must think that brewster REALLY sucks! ; 0 )

August 18th, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Come on jolly…use that head. IF the Gophers were winning 6 Big Ten games every year you don’t think EVERY game would sell out?????

Let’s use a little reasoning here: there are only a little over 50,000 tickets to sell. They keep 10,000 for students. Tehy keep about 3,000 for visiting fans. Corporations buya bunch. IF people are going to own season tickets to see four of the six Big Ten wins the Gophers will get at home…they will have to buy ALL the games on the season ticket package. You don’t think they would include NDSU games in the season ticket packaga????? Come on jolley…ust that skull that you have. And, if people wanted to scalp tickets for NDSU…half of Fargo would come to Minneapolis.

A Gopher coach getting trheir heads bashed in by Texas or USC will do that coach no good and will do this program no good. IF you can’t compete with them, you had better not play them. Getting bashed by Nebraska when Nebraska was very good and the Gophers were not did this Gopher program NO good. Unless these games with USC and Texas…IF they ever happen…are won by the Gophers or played within 3 points by the Gophers that would obviously be ok. But, would it have lasting value????? (within 3 td’s won’t do…it would be a blow out loss and that would be a killer to the Gophers. Five td losses are program killers and the beginning of the end for any coach.) Play those kinds of teams in bowl games! That is the way to do it.

But, don’t worry…if the Gophers win five or more Big Ten games on a regular basis…all games will be sold out. Use your head jolly. Use your head…

jolietgopher says:

August 18th, 2009 at 7:43 pm

How can you compare a basketball coach who has WON A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP and they pay he receives and the pay of a rookie head coach? You are comparing apples and oranges.

Dunbar is a well respected offensive coordinator who had won at Northwestern and was the cordinator at California which team was number 12 in the country in total offense the year before he came to Minnesota. Sounds like a guy who really doesnt know how to coach.

As for Brester recruits- did you see Gray in the spring game? Brewster had the number 17 class in 2008 with 3 months work. No gopher coach ever has had the recruiting class Brewster has.

Who can defend the last five games of last year, I wouldnt and they make me upset just as they make you upset. But what have you seen, a rookie coach get his brains beat in with a weak, thin team who wins six more games the next year. I wouldnt calll it sucking, I would call it improving.

jolietgopher says:

August 18th, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Wren, If the gophers win six B10 games a year, that in no way will sell out the first couple of games of the year with students not having returned to school yet, and the market for fans in Minneapolis is tight, competing against the Vikings for sports dollars is tough, past history has shown even when the gophers are 6-0 with two B10 wins at the start of the season, if they lose the 7th game there is no sell out for the next home game. That is using my head Wren.

And if Brewster and his recruits keep improving like the improvement they showed year over year in 2008, playing Texas and USC will be a recruiting tool for the elite players who want to be on that stage. That is the lasting value.

There is something called development that is going on right now in Minneapolis, to expect this program to be in the same place as the elite programs after a coaching and scheme change is unrealistic. It is developing, I would expect the development to continue, and the path they are on is re-developing the base in Minnesota which was non-existent when Brewster took over, and continual improvement year over year, better bowl games and eventually competing on the elite level. It just doesnt happen over night.

August 18th, 2009 at 11:42 pm

That may have happened in the stinking dome…that place had almost 65,000 seats available. The new stadium has just over 50,000. That is f.i.f.t.y. thousand vs s.i.x.t.y.f.i.v.e. thousand/

Weren’t you paying attention when NDSU came into town with waves of green and bought up between twenty and twenty five thousand tickets????? Play the NDSU’s of the upper mid-west. You know…our neighbors. Those people will fill the stadium even if some punky fans won’;t make the trip across the campus.

You know, the U of M no longer starts the third or fourth week of September the way they used to when they were on the quarter system. They start school freaking early now days

You think this brewster clown will keep improving the way he did in 2008????? What are you smoking????? During the EASY part of the schedule, he won some games…then, when the going got a bit tougher he got his brains beaten in by the worst Michigan team in over 30 years and a pretty average iiowa team and a pretty average Kansas team by a combined score of 123 to 27. What planet do you live on????? The improvement only lasted against FAU,Northern Illinois (just barely), Montana State, Indiana, Illinois and purdue. It was smack-down time vs. OSU. It was give away time against NU. It was blow a big lead time against a really bad wisky team. It was don’t show up time against a horrible conr/blue squad. It was flat-out=lay=down and die time…let the gm/recruiter get his head bashed in by ferentz time against iowa and it was let Kansas score twice as much as this brewster/dunbar/other guy offense in a 42-21 bead down blow out. Now WHERE did you see a “keeping on improving” 2008 season from this brewster. The last 5 games of the season went pretty much the same way that 11 losses went in 2007 under this brewster character.

What the heck will Texas and USC do to this brewster IF those games ever actually happen, brewster is still the coach and the games must be played?????

This brewster has shown me NOTHING that would lead me to conclude that competing on an elite level is EVER going to happen under the direction of this prexy b, macturi and their brewster clown-faced bargin basement no-name, no experience gm/recruiter. You DO realize that this prexy b and macturi are paying their hoops coach more than TWICE as much as this brewster, their cheap hire for the gm/recruiter job of the Football Program???? Never let this prexy b/macturi hire for the football program again… ; 0(

August 18th, 2009 at 11:47 pm

WHY not hire a football COACH who commands JUST AS MUCH as a hoops coach of the stature of Tubby Smith????? THAT is the question herer. THAT is the reason that the brewster hire was such a disaster of a hire.

With a 300 million dollar NEW STADIUM you need to bring in a BIG TIME, highly experienced, previously VERY successful football coach…not some no-name, bargin basement gm/recruiter who also works part time as a “clunker for cash” salesman… ; 0 (

Prime Time 28 says:

August 19th, 2009 at 12:25 pm

I know in order to win football games in the BT, you have to have playmakers. Coach Brewster is filling the roster with athletic playmakers that will make big time plays at THE BANK. Stop getting your panies all in a bunch; sit back and enjoy. GO GOPHERS!