Farewell

Posted on March 24th, 2009 – 8:11 PM
By Jason Hammond

living_e.jpg

Even though our house was completed over a year ago I have enjoyed continuing to write about construction, design and trying to live a greener life. The experience started as a way for us to track our journey while sharing with others. However, in the process it has become so much more than that.

The exchange of ideas and knowledge I have enjoyed over the past two years has been wonderful. During this time I have made so many contacts and friends. Some have given me their insights while others have asked me to share mine. Many have challenged my thinking or asked me for greater explanation. Out of this has come many long lasting friendships, from my architect Michael Huber who I love sharing my coolest new “modest modern” design ideas and finds with. Modern homeowners Matt and Laura Tills who we would commiserate with as our home projects and lives seemed to mirror each others  as we both struggled through the building process. My buddy Jeff Gallo (from the 5ive house, Minnesota’s first LEED Platinum house) for not only inspiring me “to do more ” green friendly than even I had planned, but for reassuring me that this obsession was a healthy one. And of course  there is a vast array of people from our general contractor (Benedict  and Associates) to the local watershed district, all of whom helped us to make our project a better one.

I have had so many informative and insightful conversations with such a wide range of people from as close as down the street, to as far away as Spain, Germany and South Africa. And so the process, even more than the project has been an incredibly dynamic, rewarding and enlightening experience, far beyond what I ever could have imagined. However, like everything else, it is time that it comes to and end.  My energy and efforts have shifted in the last few months as I work to help grow my company’s business and continue to pursue additional avenues for my passion for green living and modern design.

For now I intend to spend the coming summer working on a few little landscaping projects, adding a rainwater capture container, doing some paintings to fill our walls and taking in the fruits of the past two years of work. I will continue to write my bi-weekly blog for blog.exclusivelyhome.com as well as pursue opportunities around sharing my “modest modern” philosophy via modestmodern.com, which I plan to launch later this year. Some day down the road I plan to build a retirement cabin on our land in Northern Wisconsin, and this time I’d like to try and do something off the grid, and maybe, just maybe, I’ll write a blog about it.

Thanks again to everyone one who has come to these pages and participated in my journey.
Jason Hammond

11 Responses to "Farewell"

Jason DeRusha says:

March 24th, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Congratulations on putting this project to bed, Jason. I’ve really enjoyed reading it, and have been inspired by many of the design choices you and your family have made with your house. Good luck with the new website, and continuing to grow Mojo Solo!

Damon Noisette says:

March 25th, 2009 at 12:54 am

Jason, congratulations on your home and I know I’ll miss your updates. Thanks again for your insights — I definitely snagged a few of your ideas during my remodeling project (Artemis Fan).

All the best.

Heather J says:

March 25th, 2009 at 8:26 am

Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us Jason. I have read every word and enjoyed the process with you.

Sandra Page says:

March 25th, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Thank you for the blog, it was a pleasure to watch your home being built and it inspired me to do a blog for the house we just finished here in the upper peninsula of Michigan. Enjoy your new home and landscaping project.

Connie says:

March 27th, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I always enjoyed reading your blog and also snagged some ideas for our future remodeling project in Florida.
All the best to you and your family!

William Lutz says:

March 28th, 2009 at 9:19 am

Thank you for letting us “live in” during your journey! We live in a modern home too, and learned and gained much from your triumphs, struggles and willingness to share resources.

We still struggle with preventing the loud “thunk” we hear as birds hit our large passive solar windows. Birds from as far away as Costa Rica have perished, and the noise and carnage that follow unquestionably disturb the peace that this otherwise beautiful and “green” home should bring. (Query: is a home design that invites these window collisions truly “green” ? ) After researching this, we learned even one or two birds hitting a window per home across Minnesota adds up — collectively more birds are killed from striking windows than any other single direct cause each year. Windows kill at least 100 million birds in the United States annually, and the problem is growing as window sizes increase and houses grow larger.

With the reach of your blogs, I hope that you will add the design link below to your resources and consider it in your future home building discussions. It may serve as a “head’s-up” for other people wishing to “green-up” with large windows. I know we would have appreciated knowing this before we moved in our “green” home.

Bird-Safe Building Guidelines:
A free downloadable manual for architects, landscape designers, engineers, glass technicians, developers, building managers, city, state, and federal officials, and the general public is available here: http://www.nycaudubon.org/home/BSBGuidelines.shtml

Thanks again and good luck!

matt olson says:

March 28th, 2009 at 7:36 pm

hi jason,

congratulations on such a wonderful project and thanks so much for sharing the journey. i’m so glad it sounds like you’re doing something else in the near future to further peoples knowledge about smart design and green options. you’re such a great ambassador for those things. please keep me informed?!

“gratitude is heaven itself” – blake

i hope you guys are enjoying your new home!

best,
matt olson

laura tills says:

March 30th, 2009 at 9:55 am

we’ve loved the journey! thanks for commiserating with us…we look forward to meeting in person someday.

Rynda Carlis says:

April 2nd, 2009 at 7:33 am

Thanks for taking us along for this ride. I certainly learned things that were useful in our cabin-building project. We are enjoying weekends at the cabin up north and pushing ourselves to finish some tasks that will really make it a completed structure. This is sometimes a struggle since it’s so nice just to relax there!

The best of everything to you and your family!

john bracamontes says:

April 3rd, 2009 at 11:34 pm

This definitely was an inspiration. I really like some of the products from http://modern-contemporaryfurniture.com

Thanks.

Modern Seating says:

April 3rd, 2009 at 11:53 pm

I really did enjoy reading some of the articles here and found some great ideas. If anyone is looking find some qaulity Modern Seating then hit up Modern-ContemporaryFurniture.com