By Jerry Zgoda
With draft day just five days away, here’s some tidbits, thoughts and other stuff:
* Saw that Jordan Hill plans to work out for Memphis, which indicates the Grizzlies continue to think about moving down.
If the Wolves somehow can get that second pick to add to their own sixth, the players I’d think they’re targeting: Hasheem Thabeet (not Ricky Rubio) and Steph Curry.
That’d give you the shot-blocking presence Kahn apparently feels they need next to Big Al and the best shooter in the draft who also presumably can play point guard. Those seem to be the two greatest needs, don’t they?
Interesting, but if the Wolves get their hands on Thabeet…I can assure you McHale would have had little interest in investing so much to get him because he’s convinced Al and Kevin Love can play together most nights.
* The Wolves basketball staff had a going-away party for Mac Friday night — Kahn wasn’t invited, I don’t think.
Looks like Mac will end up with TNT, probably paired often with Chuck Barkley in the Atlanta studio and perhaps even re-united on some broadcasts with Kevin Harlan, his partner on those wild Wolves broadcasts from long ago.
The boys would have to tone it down for network TV, but it’d still be fun to see, and hear.
Mac also could end up a special-guest instructor invited to some teams’ training camps next fall.
Maybe you’ll see him in Portland tutoring Greg Oden come October.
*Heard owner Glen Taylor met with Kahn Friday and I bet encouraged him to communicate more with his players, who are angered that McHale won’t be back.
Kahn has talked several times with Al Jefferson but otherwise hasn’t started to establish a relationship with any other players, as far as I can tell.
* There’s another trade rumor floating out there seemingly even more far-fetched than the Al and No. 6 to Phoenix for Amare: This one says the Wolves send Mike Miller, Randy Foye and Ryan Gomes to Boston for Ray Allen.
Since Kahn lamented Friday how nobody in the media business calls anymore for confirmation and denial of such rumors, I texted Kahn about this one and asked if there was possibly any truth to it.
He sent back a one word answer:
* Swedish forward Jonas Jerebko is scheduled for a workout Sunday. He’d be a favorite for that 28th pick if the Wolves keep him because the long, tough, athletic forward could stay in Europe for a season or two and not sign immediately with the Wolves.
*DeMar DeRozan is expected for a workout Monday morning. That might be the last Target Center workout, but as of yesterday, the Wolves were trying to get at least an audience with such players as Thabeet, Rubio and James Harden. They’d probably have to go to those players, though.
* Looks like I’ll try to learn how to do one of these on-line chats and try to line one up for Tuesday afternoon, perhaps around the lunch hour.